New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP doesn't recognize Kindle in USB port

Trying to copy a book downloaded on my PC to Kindle, but the drive does not appear in the list in My Computer. How do I get Windows to display the drive so I can copy the book? Thanks for any help!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Looking at other posts on this site, it looks like I can try a few things, like disconnect the power cord from the PC for 30 minutes or try a USB on the back of the computer (instead of the front, which I was using). I'll try these tonight.

Thanks
    That is one option, but if it doesn't work, here's another to try. With Windows XP and prior, USB ports can stop responding, and one quick way to fix this is to go into Device Manager and delete the USB entries, then restart the computer. It will re-discover the USB devices you have, and then reinstall the drivers fresh.

In case you need it, get to Device Manager in Windows XP by clicking Start, then Control Panel, then System and Maintenance (if using the category view), then Device Manager. If the Control Panel opens up with just icons, then double-click the System icon, then go to the Hardware tab and you'll see a button for Device Manager.

And in case you need this tip: I like to call the right-mouse button the "What can I do" button - use it on the USB entries and you'll see a list of things you can do (including delete or uninstall). Then use the left mouse button to select or activate an entry on the menu.

And finally, if a restart of the computer doesn't re-discover the USB devices you have, you can first try just plugging in a USB device and see if that kicks off the re-discovery process, or use the Add Hardware Wizard (on the Control Panel's System icon, under the Hardware tab).

Hope this helps!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to keysailor For This Useful Post:

MADawson (2011-04-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions (and the tips!) - I appreciate your help.