Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Any rumors of Windows Mail-like client for Windows 8?

Have you heard any rumors of a different email client (or a second one in addition to the current one) for next windows version?

I keep hoping that MS will finally listen to the howls of power email and business email users and give us a new Windows Mail/Outlook Express for the next Windows (or even for the current one).

Has anyone heard any rumors about giving US what we need?

Thank you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Microsoft's solution for "power email users and business email users" is Outlook. While Microsoft may reverse itself, it is unlikely that a mail client will be bundled with Windows 8. Windows Live Mail, which is part of Windows Live Essentials, is the free desktop client and is likely to remain the free client. It will probably be enhanced but WLE is on a different release schedule from Windows. That is on purpose so that, theoretically, various components of WLE can be updated more frequently than the rather long Windows release cycle.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for explaining that, Joe. Outlook doesnt work for me. If MS loves WLM so much, that's fine with me - they can keep re-issuing forever. I want them to give us an alternative like Windows Mail or OE, without the cute picture frame options, "library" and all that stuff. Simple single inbox. Tabs so we can "preview" and "see source" More than once I have had to get into the source tab and force something to look different from the way it insists on displaying (usually beause I pasted a line or two of something that was composed on a mac and it won't respond to my font size and color requests). I need this for record-keeping. My mail program is like the crossroads of my world - everything leads to and from it.

Thanks again and I'll keep hoping someone out there has heard something!!!

I posted just because I keep hoping someone has heard a runor that they'll do that.

Thanks
    I'm hoping Windows 8 will have no email client whatsoever.
    The place to keep an eye on would be Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Why doesn't Outlook work for you? Is it the expense of acquisition? Or some usage issue? Outlook is very powerful and comprehensive. Much more than just an e-mail client.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,
    I have Outlook. I love Outlook Express/Windows Mail. I have about 25 GB, maybe more, of research and email stored in about 100 folders. Once every 6 months, I break up the folders that reached about 5,000 msgs. and drag to a new folder under the same name with a date range for the contents.

I have email "rules" set up over the years that sort out almot all spam and sort messages into folders if I want to and don't want them all in the inbox. I keep my inbox clean, deleting about 50 or so emails a day (it varies). When neeed, I drag stuff out of my inbox to a more appropriate folder, keeping my inbox clean and efficient with just what I want in there and no more (which is why a library-style "compilation" inbox doesn't work for me). I work so much in the email program, collecting information from sources that will later be compiled and used. It is simplicity personified. I don't need all the "stuff" that Outlook opens (calendar, etc. ) I don't work with groups of people in meetings or collaboration. It's a great program for many things but not for me. I use Google Calendar extensively for everything I do and it's perfect for me. I tried doing "tasks" with Outlook - took so much of my time I couldn't get anything done.

I have been working this way since the 90s and I have honed it til it flies. My days are crammed full, and sometimes long into the night. I don't have time for extra steps.

That was a long answer to a short question <g>. Sorry!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kelliann1 View Post
    Have you heard any rumors of a different email client (or a second one in addition to the current one) for next windows version?

I keep hoping that MS will finally listen to the howls of power email and business email users and give us a new Windows Mail/Outlook Express for the next Windows (or even for the current one).

Has anyone heard any rumors about giving US what we need?

Thank you.
    In Windows 8 developer Preview there is a Windows Mail folder in both \program files (x86) and \program files. This may mean nothing at all - since those folders were included in Windows 7. It doesn't make any sense that they'd put that folders in Windows 8 -- unless they are just leftovers from Windows 7. Developer Preview is very sparse - so perhaps we'll all know more when Windows 8 Consumer Preview debuts on 2/29/2012. Microsoft would be doing every Windows laptop and desktop user a favor by including a good, free email client. Sure, you can download Windows Live Mail --and it's free. But it's not good. It's one of the worst. But I don't hold out much hope for Windows Mail. Microsoft wants you to use "Live Essentials". If you need an email client that isn't quirky, doesn't crash, and doesn't consume inordinate amounts of RAM -- you'll have to use something besides Windows Live Mail -- Microsoft hopes yyyou'll go buy MS Office and hence, Outlook.
    Last edited by breaking.gnus; 2012-02-14 at 10:16.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I can't see why Calendars and Tasks is a reason not to use Outlook for Email if you already have it.

Bruce

Thanks

Cool win 8 email client - Thunderbird

I too like OE and prefer it to Outlook or a web based email client. Outlook is overkill for home use and can become corrupted to a point where it is totally useless. Outlook is meant to access server based emails in a corporate environment. At least that was the intention. OE is nicer for the home user. Easier to manage, backup and recover. I use OE on my XP box and Thunderbird on my Windows 7 box. The only shortcoming I find in Thunderbird is you can't switch users like OE. But that can be worked around if needed. From a functional view they are basically the same.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by larry8369 View Post
    I too like OE and prefer it to Outlook or a web based email client. Outlook is overkill for home use and can become corrupted to a point where it is totally useless. Outlook is meant to access server based emails in a corporate environment. At least that was the intention. OE is nicer for the home user. Easier to manage, backup and recover. I use OE on my XP box and Thunderbird on my Windows 7 box. The only shortcoming I find in Thunderbird is you can't switch users like OE. But that can be worked around if needed. From a functional view they are basically the same.
    I think if the OP wanted a non-native alternative, they would have asked for one.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's highly unlikely that MS will include a mail client in WIndow 8. MS removes the mail client for legal reason, not technological ones. The EU made them remove the mail client to allow competitors to have a fair advantage in the mail client arena. Since the EU hasn't changed anything on this, you'll have to download Live Mail or Thunderbird or what ever. They're free so quitcher bitchin.

New Lounger
    Thanks

email clients simply try to do too much

Outlook is simply too much and definitely too slow, even on a fast machine, to be usable for a fast email check.
    I don't have Outlook open all the time at home.
    Windows Live Mail is too slow either, after receiving a message it takes a long time for it to appear in the list.
    Outlook Express was fast and easy and handled a large inbox without issues (most of the time anyway..)
    Thunderbird is too "plastic" for my taste and is a bit slow too.
    Can we have Outlook Express 8 please?

PeterW

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The office I worked in before I retired used Outlook on a professionally set up and maintained Exchange server, and I found it efficient and easy to use. However, on my home PC without the Exchange server I found it, as others have said, clunky and inefficient, and continued to use Messenger on a RISC PC.
    I am now in the process of migrating everything off the RISC PC to my Windows machine (before the former dies), and Thunderbird is the best programme I have found for use on the Windows machine, it is free and being maintained. I do have issues with it, notably in composing HTML emails (which I have reluctantly adopted as they seem to have become standard) although it displays received ones without problem.
    PFV

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I enjoy creating email stationery. When Outlook Express died, so did my enjoyment. WLM has corrupted OE on my computer I am running XP and until Windows give us back OE as an email client, I wont be upgrading my OS. on my new computer I removed Windows 7 and installed XP specifically to enjoy my hobby.

Yes, you can adapt to create stationery to be able used in the newer email clients, but it becomnes a tme consuming job and having to write scripts to accommoadte different email clients because the univeral OE has gone, has removed the enjoyment.

Like the original OP my life is in the OE folders and message rules. Life was so simple back then. Why oh why wont MS listen to what we the users would like?

Oh before the gurus declare open season on me, some of us do not have the technical expertise and find the KISS methodsuits us. I have tried other email clients similar to OE and that is the operative word similar..I need the Source tab, I need the edit tab.

Just my input and voicing the the majority opinion of OE stationery creators.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also prefer Outlook Express rather than Outlook for home use. My wife uses Outlook at her office and I find it cumbersome and unhandy. I didn't know anybody else preferred OE !!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast