New Lounger
    Thanks

"Check for Updates" Opens Notepad instead of Update Program

Error Message: I have noticed recently that on my Vista system, when I click on the Check for Updates option of CCleaner or IObit Advanced System Care, the update web site for the products used to open, but now Notepad opens.

In doing some research on the internet, I have found that there is a problem reported several times that when clicking on an EXE file, Notepad is called. This problem is apparently caused by an erroneous value Notepad.exe) in a Registry key. Sometimes this is caused by a virus, I read. I have scrupulously updated the OS and MSE. There is a Microsoft fix for the EXE/Notepad problem, which I have tried, but it does not resolve my problem.

My problem is not that EXE files call Notepad, but only these Check for Update links. I am guessing that the Check for Update links on these programs (and perhaps others) is using some other key that is erroneously set.

Does anyone have some idea what Registry key these Check for Updates links are calling, or might anyone have some other idea of how to resolve this problem?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It may be the HTML/URL file handler. Does Notepad open when you click links in other programs?
    Try re-setting your browser to be the default browser.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

"Check for Updates" Opens Notepad instead of Update Program

Paul-- No, Notepad does not open when I click links in other programs, but these (CCleaner, IObit Advanced System Care, both freeware) are the only programs I use that have the Check for Updates at the bottom that used automatically to open the respective program's web site for updates. I don't know what made the link start opening Notepad instead of the web site for updates.

IE8 is set as the default browser. That is the only browser on the system (Vista).

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    When Notepad opens, does it show a message or open a file?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

Notepad Opens HTML Code

When "Check for Updates" opens Notepad instead of the web site to update the program, it does open a file, which consists of HTML code.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I suspect you have Notepad set as the default app for either .htm or .html files. You need to change this to allow IE to be the default app.

cheers, Paul