Star Lounger
    Welkom, South Africa

Two Anti-virus programs. How?

It is often said that a PC user should use more than one AV program for the best protection. How exactly does one do this without the two clashing? I have Trend Micro's PC Cillin on my PC. I also like to use Ad-Aware to search for malware. These two are not good bedfellows. Must I uninstall Ad-Aware after I have run the scan? Is there another way to inactivate Ad-Aware. Suggestions?

Cardiff, UK
    Active is the word usually used when discussing 2 Antivirus or 2 AntiMalware programs on the same machine. Having 1 of each active is usually no problem at all. Keeping the other(s) ready but inactive for a double-check or for passive (blocking) purposes is commonplace and very effective as part of a layered approach to PC Security. I routinely install an A/V and firewall to run actively plus 4 passive antimalware programs on almost every machine I work on. I also install other tools (Autoruns, ProcessExplorer and others from Sysinternals and Nirsoft) for use when known antimalware tools are disabled by the infection. Then I turn my attention to hardening the DNS and networking, followed by attempting to secure the web browsers. None of this is 100% effective, especially if Windows is not kept updated with Critical patches and/or there is a high risk user or usage of the PC.

There are often clashes between individual active A/V and A/M and 3rd party firewalls - they all use low level hooks into core Windows processes, sometimes I have to test 4 or more products to find 2 that work efficiently together on a particular machine. In between, I always ensure that I completely uninstall the older software using the uninstaller that is frequently found on the makers site - any dregs left could (and frequently do) cause Blue Screen errors (BSODs) at a later date.

Silicon Valley, USA
    When you install security products from major vendors, they often uninstall (or require you to uninstall) products deemed to conflict. Often, however, you can reinstall those other products afterwards without a problem. It's a good idea to get advice specific to each combination.

What you don't want is for two on-access scanners to run simultaneously: they could lock up.