Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Win XP With SP3-CD And DVD Drive Problems

I am trying to sort out a problem on my friend's computer concerning her cd and dvd drives. I believe the problem arose out of our local computer technician installing an extra internal hard drive.

I installed EASEUS Todo Backup (the free version) on her machine, and created a system image with it. However, when I tried to get the program to burn a bootable cd, the program asked for a blank cd to be inserted. I had already put a blank cd in the cd drive, so I tried to burn the cd again. The empty dvd drawer then opened, so I transferred the blank cd to that drive and tried again. This time the program opened the empty cd drawer.

I then looked at the properties of the cd and dvd drives and concluded that as a result of the new internal hard disk being installed the drive letters of the cd/dvd drives had been reversed, so I went to Disk Management and reversed them.This enabled me to get EASEUS to burn the bootable cd, (if I remember correctly it would only do so from the dvd drive), but it hasn't completely solved the problem,because when I tried to burn an audio cd with Nero, which has always worked before, it failed,and Nero seems to be treating the cd drive as the dvd drive.

I looked at the drives properties again, and the file system for the dvd drive is shown as MBR, and for the cd drive as RAW.

If anyone can tell me how to sort this problem out I would be very grateful.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Thanks
    Process of elimination.You can try this first?Go through the normal shut down.Then unplug the power supply.Disconnect the CD/DVD drives,plug the power cord back in.Reboot the computer.This will possibly give Windows a chance to straighten itself out.Then go through the normal shut down once more & hook everthing back up.
    How is the CD/DVD drives connected,IDE or Sata.If they are connected IDE which is the ribbon.I don't know how much you know in the term of technology language.So forgive me if you do know the difference.
    Anyway make sure the technician didn't change the jumper's on the drives,if connected by the IDE.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi royw,

First step in cases like this, is to determine the capabilities of the drives involved.
    Are they Read Only ,like as in a CD ROM drive or does the drive have Write capability.
    Same for the DVD drive.Some combo drives have CD Read & Write ,but DVD ROM only, so can't write to a DVD.
    Others have full writing capability for both - CDs and DVDs.

Second is whether IDE or SATA. With IDE you have to set which one is the Master and which one is the Slave,
    done with jumpers on the connector. It will show you on the drive itself. You can also use cable select.
    The Master would go on the end connector and the Slave on the connector before that.
    SATA sorts itself out, but you have to keep in mind what the drive is capable of.

To boot up from the CD- or DVD drive, you would have to set this in the BIOS and select the drive to use as 1st boot device.

Also ,when burning a bootable CD or DVD, make sure you select that option in the burning program.
    Just burning an ISO without regard to this ,will result in a copy of the ISO , not a bootable disc.

Drive letter selection is somewhat immaterial and is important only if you want to maintain consecutive drive letters
    for added drives or USB drives.Useful in a multiboot setup. But this selection should be done before adding new HDD or USB drives.

EG .I always select X and Y for the CD or DVD drives.

Pete.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks chowur and Pete.

I hve no problem in determining the capabilities of the drives, which are IDE connected, or with setting the BIOS to boot up from the CD or DVD drive, or with the process of burning an ISO. My problem is that I am not comfortable with opening the computer case and changing the jumpers on the drives,and as it seems that that is what needs looking into I will have to wait for the local technician to return from vacation.

Thanks and best regards,
    Roy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What is system make and model?
    Check the BIOS for which types of drives are recognized (PATA or SATA). PATA and SATA are both IDE. The BIOS should give some brief description of the drives. It may show SATA as Primary and Secondary, either of which can be a HD, CD, DVD, etc. For PATA drives, the BIOS may show Primary Master, Secondary Master, etc.

May have had a PATA bootable hard drive to begin with and then the tech added a new SATA hard drive.

Many possibilities !!!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello tfspry,

The computer was put together by the local computer technician, so I don't know the make and model.

According to the BIOS,the Onboard IDE Operate Mode is shown as Onboard IDE Controller, and under Enhanced Mode it says "Both".

Primary IDE Master Hard Disk
    Primary IDE Slave Not Detected
    Secondary IDE Master ATAPI CDROM
    Secondary IDE Slave ATAPI CDROM
    SATA 1 Not Detected
    SATA 2 Hard Disk

Any further advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
    Roy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    I am trying to sort out a problem on my friend's computer concerning her cd and dvd drives. I believe the problem arose out of our local computer technician installing an extra internal hard drive.
    I installed EASEUS Todo Backup (the free version) on her machine, and created a system image with it.
    when I tried to burn an audio cd with Nero, which has always worked before, it failed,and Nero seems to be treating the cd drive as the dvd drive.
    Hi Roy-
    In the end, it will probably turn out to be an issue With Nero settings. Have you tried any other burning software such as the FREE CDBurnerXP.......
    CDBurnerXP is a free application to burn CDs and DVDs

Other things you may want to know about her system...
    In the BIOS, click on each of the Hard Disks and make note of the Model and Capacity. In Disk Management, use that info to put descriptive names on the drives.
    In the BIOS, click on each of the Secondary Drives and make note of the Model and Type (DVD or CD)
    Is the new drive the SATA drive?
    Is the System booting from the new drive or old drive? IN BIOS, what is boot order?
    When the EASUS image was made, what was it an image of? Where is the image stored?

HTH

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi tfspry,

Thanks for following up.

The Primary IDE Master is her 160 GB C drive.

The fourth IDE Master is her 750 GB F drive, and this is the new SATA 2 drive. (On this drive 32 bit data transfer is disabled-should I enable it?)

The Secondary IDE Master is her NEC-DVD-RW-ND-3520A drive.

The Secondary IDE Slave is her Sony CD-RW-CRX320E drive.

The first Boot Device is the DVD drive.

The second Boot Device is her C drive, described as PM-WDC-WD-1600J. (I assume from this that it is a Western Digital Hard Drive).

There is no reference to her CD drive in the Boot order.

The third Boot Device just says Disabled, with no description.

One final odd thing I noticed-both the CD and DVD drives have a DVD Region pane in their description, and the CD drive is shown as Region 1, but the DVD drive is shown as Region 2.

The EASEUS image is an image of drive C, and is stored on the new hard drive F.

I would appreciate your further advice.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Roy - That is good info you provided. Thank you.

I have to go do a couple of things. Here is a quick note for you.
    What DVD zone is Malta in?

What time zone are you... I am in US EDT time zone.

Did you have a chance to try CDBurnerXP?

Be back later !!!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello tfspry-Malta is in the UTC +1 hour time zone (same as Brussels,Copenhagen etc). It is 1.59 am here now.

I don't know what DVD zone Malta is in, please excuse my ignorance. I'll try to find out tomorrow, although I have to be out most of the day.

I haven't tried CDBurnerXP yet. To be honest I was hoping not to have to do so, because my friend has made many audio cd compilations with Nero, and before the current problem arose if one of her family members wanted a copy of one of them she could simply open the compilation in Nero and burn a cd from it quickly and easily.

I await your further advice and sincerely appreciate the effort you are making to help me resolve the problem.

Best regards,
    Roy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    I don't know what DVD zone Malta is in, please excuse my ignorance. I'll try to find out tomorrow, although I have to be out most of the day.

....... my friend has made many audio cd compilations with Nero, and before the current problem arose if one of her family members wanted a copy of one of them she could simply open the compilation in Nero and burn a cd from it quickly and easily.
    Hi Roy - Malta is in DVD Region 2.....
    DVD Region Codes

Which version of Nero is being used?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi tfspry,

Thanks a lot for the Region Codes.

The Nero version is 8.

I await your further advice.

Best regards,
    Roy