New Lounger
    Thanks

Saved Documents have Asian characters

My wife the writer has a problem with Asian characters occasionally showing up in her work. (Win7, OpenOffice.org). After saving as an .odt file and then reopening later for further editing, some “Chinese” characters are sprinkled through the work, particularly beginning quotes. An example paragraph is below. Deleting them and over-typing corrects the problem on the screen, but they come back after saving and reloading. Saving as Word6 files replaces the Asian characters with question marks, which when corrected stay corrected. Auto spell is set for English only. What is happening here?
    (Six months ago the same thing appeared in a received document; after a web search I added a font, “WP Typographic Symbols”, which fixed that. May not have any relationship to this problem.)

Thanks for any advice or suggestions (a fix would be ideal!).

memnosine@hotmail.com

---------------- Example -----------------------------------------------------

Reaching the pyramids,we found camels, carts, vendors with their wares spread before them. ankee Doodle,the vendors call. ne dollar.y mother made this last night,one cheeky man called out, grinning.
    kay.
    ome, next to the camel. Why not?
    ere, sit on the camel.
    o, I don't want a camel ride.
    t isn't a camel ride.

After Word 6 we have:

Reaching the pyramids,we found camels, carts, vendors with their wares spread before them. ?ankee Doodle,the vendors call. ?ne dollar.?y mother made this last night,one cheeky man called out, grinning. In spite of warnings which were wasted on us in our profound innocence, we fell prey to slick operators who offered to take photos of us. ?kay. ?ome, next to the camel. Why not? ?ere, sit on the camel. ?o, I don't want a camel ride. ?t isn't a camel ride.

Thanks
    The WP symbols are a problem for Word. Best to get rid of them. Check out this thread from last month for a link to a macro that says it can clean them up: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...wanted-Symbols.

If that doesn't help, then could you post a document with a paragraph of the problem text in its original Word 2003/2007/2010 format?
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-04-15 at 16:24. Reason: Hmmm, on second thought.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Asioan Characters redux

The original document was in open document text formet -odt- and than saved as word6 .doc file. Segments of both are in the attached zip file (had to zip it as the web site would not accept the .odt file, even when re-labeled as something else.)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by memnosine View Post
    The original document was in open document text formet -odt- and than saved as word6 .doc file.
    If you open the .odt file with an unzip program and look at content.xml, the characters are damaged. I can't think if any way to automatically repair them, but I don't understand why manually repairing them doesn't "stick."

I suspect this document was in some other format before it was edited in OpenOffice. It appears to have undergone an unfortunate accident where two characters merged into one, perhaps in a conversion to Unicode.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    no, the document was composed from scratch with OpenOffice.org templates. Typed in. I will go check the template and delete the WP Typographic font from the machine. Since it appears to be a random effect, not happening all the time, not sure how to detect , let along prevent, this occurance. Best to let this thread rest. If I find anything out or see it happen again I'll post again. Thanksfor the interest.