Star Lounger
    Thanks

Should I Update My BIOS?

I recently updated the BIOS in my netbook so it would recognize a new memory module I installed. Subsequently, I checked the BIOS in my laptop and learned that the manufacturer is offering an updated version. I'm thinking I should install it, because I had to restore my hard disk from an image some time back and accidentally reset the BIOS to its "default settings" while changing the boot sequence. I've since read that the manufacturer may not have set everything to "default," but I have no way now of knowing if I changed everything. Would it be a good idea to install the most recent BIOS since one is available?
    Last edited by DJG; 2011-04-15 at 16:21.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Usually the vendor supplies a description of the changes in the new BIOS. You should review those, see if they apply to you, and then decide about updating.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    DJG,

BIOS updates are dangerous as you could brick your machine! My policy is only update the BIOS if you are having a problem that defies all other fixes and the manufacture's tech support swears that the BIOS flash will fix the problem. Then make sure the machine is plugged into a UPS!!!!! You really don't want to loose power in the middle of flashing the BIOS believe me. Then follow the manufacture's instructions EXACTLY!!! Last but not least keep your fingers crossed.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Last but not least keep your fingers crossed.
    Ten years ago I might have agreed with you, but I've updated BIOSes galore from PCs to quite large servers over the years and never had the slightest problem. Most of these were Dell, but almost all manufacturers have now got on top of the problem, and have a recovery method in the unlikely case of something going wrong. Certainly you should make sure that power is being supplied from the mains (or in areas with ropey mains, then a UPS) rather than a laptop's battery, but other than that I wouldn't be too worried.

And, yes, there's little point upgrading a BIOS just for the fun of it - there should be a good reason!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    I agree with Joe, BIOS updates are usually accompanied by faq sheets that provide information on revision changes and fixes.
    You would be wise to read through them to see if any of the changes are applicable to you.

I'm thinking I should install it, because I had to restore my hard disk from an image some time back and accidentally reset the BIOS to its "default settings" while changing the boot sequence. I've since read that the manufacturer may not have set everything to "default," but I have no way now of knowing if I changed everything. Would it be a good idea to install the most recent BIOS since one is available?
    Reverting to default settings in the BIOS are among the safest settings profile. It sounds to me like you could benefit by learning more about various settings.
    Go over and read the documentation for your computers BIOS settings and become familiar with them, Google or Bing those that you are'nt.