4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is my problem my Cable carrier?

Hi,

I have Windows 7 Ultimate. I am connected to the internet via a wired modem for my diesktop and wirelessly via Netgear for my laptop. It seems that every day I must pull the plug from my Netgear modem and then reconnect after a minute or two to get my laptop connected to the internet. At the same time that the wireless connection is not working for my laptop, my wired, desktop connection is working fine. Could this problem be due to my Cable carrier? Or do you think it is probably something else?

Thank you. Moon1130

Thanks
    Sounds like your Netgear wireless router is setup incorrectly. I do not have a Netgear (I use Linksys) but see if this page from Netgear will help. It does show how to sign on to your Netgear router to check / change settings on the router. The first link will show the sign on info. I hope these help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    What kind of error do you get when trying to connect?

When this happens, have you tried "repairing" your wireless connection on the laptop? (In Windows XP, if you displayed the connection icon in the system tray/notification area, you could do this with a right click.)

If it's really the router, I suppose it's possible that so many of your neighbors use your wireless connection that you can't get on...

Edit: I am assuming that your cable path for your desktop PC is through one of the Ethernet ports on the Netgear wireless router.
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-04-16 at 13:32. Reason: note...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted and jscher2000.

Ted, I have copied your references to my problem and will give them a very careful review.

jscher2000, the only "repair" work I do when I run into this problem is via the internet problem identifier/solver that comes with Windows 7. Also, if neighbors are using my wireless connection, how can I verify that this is being done?

Thank you.

Moon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    Also, if neighbors are using my wireless connection, how can I verify that this is being done?
    Your wireless router might have a log of connections show the MAC addresses of users' network cards. Not sure where else you might be able to find the information. Of course, if you require a password (e.g., WPA-PSK or TKIP security) then it's unlikely they are using it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My wireless does require a password. I think that the problem is my cable company. Just recently they had to resend the signal to reactivate my internet service.
    Thank you very much for your help.

Moon

Thanks
    Just a thought, but if you are still able to access the internet via the wired connection, but the wireless does not work at the same time, it must be between your router and your laptop that the problem lies. I have been using a program called Network Magic for years now, and although not a magic bullet it does simplify things quite a bit, as well as making it very easy to share files and folders and providing a speed test among other useful features. Depending on your router, it also is a convenient and easy way to set up encryption and the like. It is now provided by Cisco, but started from a company called Pure Networks, that Cisco gobbled up. It comes in both a free and paid version. Mine is paid, but to try free is good.
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-127 c-b Intel Core i5 750 2.67 Ghz 8 GB RAM one 2 TB Hdd, and one 3 TB Hdd with one 3TB external HDD Win 7 Home Premium 64, GeForce GT 220 1 Gig Vram; Sony Vaio laptop with Intel i3 330-M 2.13 Ghz 4 GB RAM 500 GB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64; not to mention an HTC One (the older model) and a Nexus 7(2013)

--------------------------------

Dogs Aren't Our Whole Life
    BUT
    They Make Our Life Whole.

--------------------------------

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Moon,

Do you have a wireless home phone? These can cause interference with the wireless connection if operating at 2400 MHz {the 900 MHz ones are OK}. Just yesterday I was working on a client's machine and the laptop intermittently dropped the connection. All the while the wired desktop worked flawlessly!
    Finally, I put the two together when the client had a long phone call and I was disconnected the whole time. As soon as they hung up the connection returned. I changed the router to channel 11 from auto and all was well!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

NETGEAR downloade and installed their latest software package; mine was out of date. We set the router to Channel 11 (as RetiredGeek did). Since then everything has worked flawlessly.

Thank you all for your help. Have a Good one...

Moon