New Lounger
    Thanks

Computer startup problems after BSOD

I have an E 6750 with 2 Samsung 375GB drives and an Asus 5PK Premium. Vista 64 bit Home Premium is installed on C. D is only partitioned for 90GB and has XP Pro as backup.

When I tried to change my TCP/IP settings from dynamic to static I got a blue screen of death (BSOD). Behaviour when starting the PC varies, but it invariably ends at “Error loading operating system” before the OS selection menu appears. The Vista installation DVD was unable to help. However, pressing F8 very early during startup brings up the boot menu, with options :
    1st FLOPPY DRIVE
    HDD:PS-SAMSUNG HD501LJ
    CDROM: <description>
    HDD:4M-SAMSUNG HD501LJ

If I pick the 4th device the computer will start normally. The boot order in the BIOS does not distinguish the two drives. Trying to set the IP to static again produced again a BSOD.

Does anyone have ideas on how to solve these 2 problems ? I am open to Windows 7 solutions and intend to partition the rest of drive D anyway.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I suspect a corrupt OS because of the BSOD. The cause may be a virus given the strange start up behaviour.
    I would run various virus scans, then re-install Vista on C:. There is no need to keep XP unless you have software that refuses to run on Vista.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    It may be a buggy 3rd party firewall or other security program causing this, as it occurred after changing network settings. It would help if you posted the details of the BSOD - the 0x00000000 code and any driver or file listed, for example.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your suggestions.

I changed the TCP/IP settings to static to reproduce the BSOD, but Windows refused to crash.

I had Malwarebytes Anti-Malware run a virus scan. I forgot to update first so the database is from 13/2/2010. My default anti-virus is Avast. It deleted 2 registry entries. After restart, I selected Vista in de Windows boot manager and got a BSOD. What the error type was I don't remember (something with “mismatch”), but it is not in the list technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc750081.aspx.
    Then again Vista failed to load and gave me a list of startup options. I chose safe mode. After successful start in safe mode I simply restarted. Then Windows started normally (still with the mandatory F8 and selecting 4th boot device).

The registry entries Anti-Malware deleted are (typed over from the quarantine list; it looks like they can be restored):
    Trojan.Fakaelert; Registry Key; HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\secfile
    Broken.OpenCommand; Registry data; HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\(Defa ult) (Data: NOTEPAD.exe %1)

How can I record a BSOD ? Am I supposed to write it down ? Can I pause it so that I have more time ?

Is reinstalling Vista likely to sove more problems than it causes ? When I installed my dual-boot system I did it in the wrong order (I think first XP and then Vista). Vista damaged the XP installation so that it wouldn't start and the Vista installation didn't work either. In addition, everything would I suppose need to be backed up and all the programs would need reinstalling. Wouldn't installing Windows 7 be better ? Wouldn't installing on the unpartitioned space of drive D be better ?
    I have a dual boot system in the hope that I could still use the other OS if the primary one fails.

Thanks
    When dual booting, installing the older OS first is the preferred and simplest method so that the default boot drive lists Windows (later version) and Windows (previous version) as options on boot = one boot sector (boot drive) points to both installations. It looks like you can boot Vista only when you manually change the boot order? Also, the BSOD error that mentioned 'mismatch' does lead me to think that something has screwed up your dual boot.

The 2nd registry entry (broken), is actually a fairly common tweak that might enhance security by disallowing malware from patching the registry via a standard method. Example: on double-clicking a *.reg file, the tweak opens it in Notepad instead of merging it into the Registry. To bypass this for a known good registry patch, right-click the reg file and select Merge.

To set Windows not to reboot on BSOD (so you can read the message) and also to save a minidump each time (very useful for troubleshooting), use the methods outlined here for each version of Windows installed. The BSOD will be listed in the System Management logs > System log (right-click (My) Computer > Manage), at around the time the BSOD occurred.

Thanks
    You could also check the event viewer in both operating systems for the errors. Look for their coresponding date and time occurrences.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the suggestions.

I found something useful in the BIOS. There are actually 2 menus to control the startup device. In one you can select which hard drive is “the” hard drive and in the boot menu you can select, floppy or CD drive or the hard drive. So I changed the HD selection and the BIOS would pick the correct HD automatically. Suspecting that merely took care of obvious symptomes, but that there is still underlying damage I had System Mechanic 10 Pro look for hard drive errors. It found and repaired some. Then the OS ran for a few hours and crashed with a BSOD. Hard to believe that is not SM 10 Pro's fault. Vista wouldn't start (XP would), aparrently due to winload.exe being corrupt. The Windows DVD could however repair the OS this time.

The event viewer mentions the crash, but gives other info than what a BSOD displays. I changed the recording of such a crash as satrow suggested, so maybe next time I can get some info about a crash.

No suggestions about a possible upgrade to Win 7 and/or a way to exploit the 280GB of unpartioned space on D ? The easiest is to just have Vista partion that space.

Thanks
    Nirsoft's BlueScreenView is a good utility that makes it easier to read the minidump file. It can provide some good leads as to the source of the BSOD.