Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When should I defrag?

I have W-7. When I run the analyze portion of the disk defrag program, it says my fragmentation is 7%. But it does not advise whether or not I should defrag. Is there some rule of thumb?

Mel

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just set a day and time for it run and make sure that the machine is on at that time.

The Windows 7 defragger seems to do real well and I very seldom ever check it as it has always been in good shape.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I've had this computer for about 11 months. Seems to me 7% is not bad. So, I'm hesitant to defrag on a regular basis if I only really NEED to do it every 15 months or so!

The performance/speed seems to be okay (I do clear the cache and some other maintenance)

Mel

Thanks
    I like to get rid of ALL temp stuff just prior to creating a new Image of my PC. I always clean my PC temp files using Privacy Mantra and CCleaner, then defrag and optimize use Auslogics Disk Defragmentor. I then create an Up To Date Image of my PC. I do this whenever I make a change to my PC, including adding apps, uninstalling apps, updates, etc.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Different strokes

Well, each to his own. What you do seems like overkill. In fact, I am probably guilty of underkill. I only do a back-up/image about every 4-6 months. However, most of my work is done on a laptop. Every time I save a file, it also gets saved on my networked desktop, so in a sense I always have my important files backed up on the other computer.

But I do the Windows Updates regularly and update my AV every few days. I clean the cache and do other stuff every so often. I run AV scans and my anti-malware program every 2 months. I also use ZoneAlarm. I guess the point I want to make is that I already resent the time to do all this upkeep stuff (and I probably don't do enough of it!). That's why I would like to have a better feel on when to defrag!

Mel

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mel:
    You're correct about "different strokes." Meaning no disrespect but you asked a question and 2 people offered suggestions.
    You've chosen to disagree with them. There's no universal rule that I'm aware of as to when to defrag. It's your "personal" computer, so chose a defrag approach that's comfortable to you.
    For what it's worth, I basically do what Ted does. Since I'm not a computer professional, but I like to "play around" and experiment with my computer, I've managed to crash Windows 7 four times in the past year. But with my "overkill", because I have up-to-date images, I'm back up and running in minutes (rather than spending hours reinstalling.)
    YMMV,
    Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I've not changed the default settings for defrag on any Windows 7 PCs at home or work. IMO, on a modern system with a large disk drive for most users it is not worth worrying about.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by compiler View Post
    I have W-7. When I run the analyze portion of the disk defrag program, it says my fragmentation is 7%. But it does not advise whether or not I should defrag. Is there some rule of thumb?

Mel
    Check your Task Scheduler settings to see how often Windows is defragging your drive.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

not scheduled

I prefer to check every so often. It seemed XP always advised yes or no regarding defrag.

W-7 only says the %

Mel

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could install 'Smart Defrag'. Then you could set autodefrag to on. This will then automatically defrag in the background while computer is idle without slowing computer at all.
    It is a set it and forget it method which should suit you as then less manual maintenance is needed.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2011-04-16 at 15:57. Reason: Spellling

Thanks
    I use Auslogics Defrag. It is accessed frequently but only to analyse, it tells me if defragging is required.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by compiler View Post
    I prefer to check every so often. It seemed XP always advised yes or no regarding defrag.

W-7 only says the %

Mel
    Well, unless you have opened Task Scheduler and deleted the defrag task, you're getting defragged once a week. If I remember correctly, that's the default setting when Windows is installed.

I just checked my Home Premium installation; default is 1:00 a.m. every Wednesday, and if it is unable to complete the task at that time, to keep trying every minute (during idle time) until the task is completed.

So, if you are turning your PC off before 1:00 a.m. on Wednesday, and unless you have opened Task Scheduler and deleted the defrag task, then your machine is being defragged every Thursday during idle time.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2011-04-16 at 16:48. Reason: additional information
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I may have deleted the task because it's not scheduled. Anyway, it sound like the answer to my original question is that there is not agreed-upon percentage that would create a defrag recommendation. It seems XP did have one.

Mel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    Mel:
    For what it's worth, I basically do what Ted does. Since I'm not a computer professional, but I like to "play around" and experiment with my computer, I've managed to crash Windows 7 four times in the past year. But with my "overkill", because I have up-to-date images, I'm back up and running in minutes (rather than spending hours reinstalling.)
    YMMV,
    Dick
    I wish it were only 4 times for me. It is considerably more than that. Because of my Up To Date Images, when I screw something up, or if something dies (HD) it takes me approx. 10 minutes to completly restore my OS. If I only made an Image every 6 months, the Image would be so out of date that I would spend several hours getting back to where I was when the crash occurred. I prefer to spend the 1/2 hour after a change to save the several hours when restore would be necessary.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    See Windows 7 defragmenter for a detailed discussion.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast