4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7. Is it now time to install SP-1?

Is it now appropriate to install sp1 to windows 7?

Thanks
    Cowboyphil. welcome to the Lounge. It's always nice to hear from new members.

I believe it's been appropriate since SP1 was released. Upgraded all 3 PC's in the house without a single problems. I would make sure everything is cleaned very well (all temp files, temp internet files, etc are cleaned out) then create an Image before the installation. I also downloaded the SP1 file, shut down my internet and AV app during the installation, then installed SP1 from the downloaded file. MS does recommend shutting down other apps during the installation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    When the SP came out, I held off for a short while because of the huge download size, and my satellite download limits. After reading here in the Lounge that most of the folks were installing with no problems, I took one laptop to my office and downloaded there, saving as I did. Then loaded from the saved download to the other laptop, but held off on the desktop for some reason. Even with precautions I was nervous about this one, so I ordered the CD from MS and installed it that way, after proper image backup, etc.

All three computers are playing happily now. Maybe I have been lucky, but in the short time I have been on board, I find Tedshemyers and Joe Perez posts to be extremely valuable.
    BJ

Thanks
    Pretty much still optional at the moment. It's not mandatory and it will not be detrimental to not have it installed.
    If you do consider installing SP-1, remember to make an imaged backup prior to proceeding. It's the best failsafe I known of.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SP1 - My Two Cents

Susan Bradley (Windows Secrets Newsletter) has cautioned readers about many Windows 7 updates including SP1. However, we have some "daring" members at our local computer club who have installed it on many computers, both laptops and desktops. Some of these computers were originally equipped with Windows XP and Vista. There were few problems and those that we had were primarily solved by downloading and installing the stand-alone version. So, in summary, I would say the odds are in your favor for a successful update to SP1

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello.
    Only my 1¢ worth but here goes. I installed SP1 to my three machines running W-7 and all are fine now. Not a hiccup ! It is a long install, took nearly 2 hours each.
    Fear not, get it. Jean.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sp 1

Thank you very much for your input.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Same here, I have installed it on 6 machines since it was released and have had NO problems.

Some of these news stories, are just that, stories, not much research, the author may have just read the "Beta" comments and some of the problems that have occurred during beta.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much.
    Phil.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Could you please advise me as to how i direct or address a general question to the forum to acquire some information.
    Thank you very much.
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYPHIL View Post
    Could you please advise me as to how i direct or address a general question to the forum to acquire some information.
    Thank you very much.
    Phil.
    Just start a thread in the forum which most closely matches about the subject you wish to inquire. If it is a general question about Windows use the "General Windows" forum. If it is a question about a particular program that is not an Office application use the "Other Applications" forum. Don't worry about getting it exactly correct. If a moderator thinks the question would be better answered in a different forum it will get moved.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

one good, one bad

Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    Susan Bradley (Windows Secrets Newsletter) has cautioned readers about many Windows 7 updates including SP1. However, we have some "daring" members at our local computer club who have installed it on many computers, both laptops and desktops. Some of these computers were originally equipped with Windows XP and Vista. There were few problems and those that we had were primarily solved by downloading and installing the stand-alone version. So, in summary, I would say the odds are in your favor for a successful update to SP1

Sp1 installed without a hitch on the desktop that I built.

However, my laptop had some problems.
    After SP1, IE8 would not display any web pages.
    Pages would seem to load and tabs would indicate successful navigation to sites, but the screen was blank. Did lots of research, changed settings and even upgraded to IE9, but nothing helped.
    Firefox was not affected by the update.