3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Editing .MOV files

I have bought a Canon G12 digital camera which also shoots movies in .MOV format. I have used it to "copy" some old 8mm film but cannot edit the output files. I downloaded Virtual DuB open source software, but that would not accept .MOV files. I installed a 7 year old version of Pinnacle Studio 9.0 but that would not work either. Is there easy to use freeware editing program that would do the job or do I need to convert to a different format; I download a MOV to AVI converter but there seemed to be about ten extensions to choose from. I wish to end up by putting the films on DVD and playing them on the TV via a DVD player.

Thanks
    Here's a,FREE converter that might fill the bill;http://mp4cam2avi.sourceforge.net/ The down load link is @ the far left on the bottom.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I have downloaded the converter but what output format should I choose to be able to view on a TV via a DVD player - not a computer. I live in the UK, which might require a different format from the US.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In that case you will need a program to convert the MOV file into a DVD. I use Pinnacle Studio for this, but there are several other products that can create DVDs.

Do you have an HDTV? If so, copying the MOV to a USB stick and plugging that into the TV might also work (that is what I do).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I have managed to download a "free" older version of Magix Movie Editor Pro Silver 14, and that will open my .MOV files, so hopefully my problem is now solved.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21 View Post
    Thanks. I have managed to download a "free" older version of Magix Movie Editor Pro Silver 14, and that will open my .MOV files, so hopefully my problem is now solved.
    mike,
    Hello... in case it doesn't work you can try this one (free version) http://www.clone2go.com/products/freevideo.php i have used it to convert my old 8mm tape to .avi..so Windows DVD Maker can "burn" them.
    PS: if you don't see your particular format after importing...just use the last drop down choice.. All Files(*.*) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)