New Lounger
    Thanks

BBC embedded videos do not work with Firefox 4

I had assumed Firefox would have sorted this issue before launching Firefox 4. I finally moved to Firefox 4 Beta from IE about 6 months ago.

I cannot see any way of e-mailing Firefox directly. I have also tried Googling, searching WSL and leaving messages on Firefox web site to no avail.

Is this a general problem or something specific to my computer? I have NoScript allowed. Link to sample site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/9460612.stm

Any advise most welcome.

Many thanks.
    P.

Thanks
    Your example works fine for me on Firefox 4. Perhaps try Help -> "Restart with Add-Ons Disabled". Then try completely uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PBatWSL View Post
    I cannot see any way of e-mailing Firefox directly. I have also tried Googling, searching WSL and leaving messages on Firefox web site to no avail.

Is this a general problem or something specific to my computer? I have NoScript allowed. Link to sample site:

Unfortunately, I can't test since BBC blocks views from my side of the pond. In addition to the "official" support forum at support.mozilla.com, there is an independent forum at forums.mozillazine.org.

Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    My advice, switch to IE 9 RTM! Oh darn I just went against the prevailing sentiment in this forum. Many, including myself, think that IE 9 is better than either FF 4 or Chrome 10. I have read of many problems with FF 4.
    I think this post descends to the level of trolling.

===

I'm going to move this thread to the alternative browsers board.

Thanks
    I had assumed Firefox would have sorted this issue before launching Firefox 4. I finally moved to Firefox 4 Beta from IE about 6 months ago.

Any advise most welcome.

Many thanks.
    P.
    It worked on my FFox after clicking link to install correct flash version. Location near Glasgow.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    You might want to try this;http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/ This site will check to see if things are up to date.The best of luck.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for all your comments. I have been struggling. I have uninstalled Firefox using Revo Uninstaller at its most aggressive setting, but to no avail. I did not do the deep clean deleting personal settings etc ~ if I should have done please let me know.

I have also uninstalled Secunia PSI 2.0 and tried the online version. It seem to think I have a problem loading a java applet. I have searched in Firefox Addons for “java applet secunia” to which nothing was found. Similar results for “Secunia”. Searching for “Java” produced 61 results and “java applet” 4.

I don’t know what I am looking for ~ so your help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
    You missed the hint from Roderunner:
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    It worked on my FFox after clicking link to install correct flash version. Location near Glasgow.
    You really do need to install Flash

Thanks
    I have also uninstalled Secunia PSI 2.0 and tried the online version. It seem to think I have a problem loading a java applet. I have searched in Firefox Addons for “java applet secunia” to which nothing was found. Similar results for “Secunia”. Searching for “Java” produced 61 results and “java applet” 4.
    I don't think the person who suggested the online version of Secunia knew you had the locally installed version. You might want to continue to use the locally installed version (PSI).

Regarding Java, you can check whether you have it, and what version you have, here: http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

New Lounger
    Thanks
    SOLVED!!
    It was suggested to me that I ought to check that my settings allowed third-party Flash content to store data on my computer. Once I found where such a tick box was hidden and ticked it, the embedded videos worked. How anybody is supposed discover they need to make that change I do not know. Hopefully, this post will save others 8 months of angst. Thank you to everybody who tried to help.
    P.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    PBatWSL
    ...check that my settings allowed third-party Flash content to store data on my computer.[/B][/I] Once I found where such a tick box was hidden and ticked it, the embedded videos worked.

Where are these settings? On Firefox, or your firewall? I can't see where these are - please share.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyiBM View Post
    Where are these settings? On Firefox, or your firewall? I can't see where these are - please share.

Thanks.
    They are Flash Player settings, more info can be found here Adobe Flash Player : Settings Manager
    Last edited by Browni; 2011-06-04 at 00:02. Reason: typo

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

AndyiBM (2011-06-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Right - got it thanks.

However, it seems that actually my issue perhaps isn't flash..

I'm using Firefox 4.0 to watch videos on the BBC website, and I can watch archived Flash videos no problem, but can't watch any live streams (which are also Flash)...

I'm in the UK, so no problem there, and I can switch to Chrome and watch them there. And I used to be able to watch on Firefox.

Just don't understand what the issue is with Firefox, unless it's purely a version 4 issue (I recently upgraded from 3). Would be rubbish if I had to downgrade...

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks
    Maybe it's time to start a new thread with a subject line that calls attention to the streaming issue?

New Lounger
    Thanks