New Lounger
    Thanks

Slow to Boot and Monster Icons

I have Windows 7. When I boot up for the 1st time in the day, it takes almost 3 minutes and the icons on the desk top are huge. I restart the computer, it reboots in about 20 seconds and the icons are normal size. I have tried everything I can think of. When the computer booits for the 1st time the highest screen resolution avail is 1280x800. When I restart the computer it goes to 1680x1050 which is my normal resolution. I have checked all drivers, updated as necessary to no avail. Can anyone help me find this gremlin? Thanks. Master Chief

Thanks
    Hi Master Chief, welcome to the lounge.
    Try as in my image.

Attachment 27901
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner, OK. Did that. I'll have to wait until morning when I boot up for 1st time to see. Appreciate the quick response.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner: Booted up this AM and same old problem. Any more thoughts? I may just have to live with it for a while. Thanks Master Chief

Thanks
    Try as my image. Right click empty space on the desktop.

Attachment 27906
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Master Chief, do you have a desktop or laptop Windows 7 machine?

Is your gpu on the motherboard or is it a discrete video card? Did you check for the latest video drivers from the computer vendor or video card manufacturer rather than the latest driver offered from Microsoft?

When your first cold boot does start Windows 7 with the low resolution display, check the Device Manager to determine if Windows loaded a generic VGA driver for your video card rather than the specific driver for your brand of gpu.

Was your PC purchased with Windows 7 installed or did you upgrade from an earlier Windows OS to Windows 7? If upgraded, then you might need Windows 7 compatible Chipset Device Drivers, and probably a BIOS update.

If your PC came with Windows 7 already installed, I'm wondering if the CMOS battery (C2030) has gone bad, and is not initializing the BIOS correctly on cold boot?

Have you seen any error messages or checked the Event Viewer - Hardware and Application logs for any critical errors during Windows startup?
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-04-18 at 17:02. Reason: another possibility

New Lounger
    Thanks
    IN RESPONSE:

Master Chief, do you have a desktop or laptop Windows 7 machine? Dell Inspiron 580S purchased Aug 2010 preloaded with Windows 7

Is your gpu on the motherboard or is it a discrete video card? Did you check for the latest video drivers from the computer vendor or video card manufacturer rather than the latest driver offered from Microsoft? On the motherboard. Latest drivers from Intel loaded

When your first cold boot does start Windows 7 with the low resolution display, check the Device Manager to determine if Windows loaded a generic VGA driver for your video card rather than the specific driver for your brand of gpu. Will do later today

Was your PC purchased with Windows 7 installed or did you upgrade from an earlier Windows OS to Windows 7? If upgraded, then you might need Windows 7 compatible Chipset Device Drivers, and probably a BIOS update. Windows 7 installed with purchase.

If your PC came with Windows 7 already installed, I'm wondering if the CMOS battery (C2030) has gone bad, and is not initializing the BIOS correctly on cold boot?

Have you seen any error messages or checked the Event Viewer - No Hardware and Application logs for any critical errors during Windows startup?[/QUOTE]

Please see my responses above. Thanks for the help.