New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update oddity re KB2510531

I just performed some selective Windows updates yesterday, installing some and holding off on others per recommendations from Woody Leonard's site as well as Susan Bradley's "column" in the "Windows Secrets" newsletter. Before I downloaded or installed any of the updates, I printed out a list of available updates.

One of the updates on this list was "Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2510531)". I chose NOT to install this particular update at this time.

After installing the desired updates and rebooting, I checked the Windows Update site for a list of the remaining updates. I did not see the update KB2510531 listed.

Odd, I thought. Perhaps I had installed it unknowingly? I checked my Windows Update history and did not see it listed there either. Feeling a bit confused, I then went to Programs and Features (FKA Add/Remove Programs), and told it to view installed updates. It wasn't shown there either.

OK, maybe somehow it got put into Hidden Updates by Windows Update? Nope, also not listed there (I had NO hidden updates).

I also counted up the number of updates on my printed list mentioned above. The number was 26. I then counted the number of updates I had installed per the Windows Update history (16) and the number of updates remaining to install per the Windows Update site (9), which totals 25 - one less than the number of updates on my original printed list. Makes sense since KB2510531 is missing from both of the current Windows Updates lists.

FWIW, I had installed the IE8 security updates in the first wave and installed IE9 in the second wave of updates that I did yesterday. I did NOT install SP1.

Does anyone know what the explanation is for security update KB2510531 not currently showing up on any list? It looks like it just disappeared!

Thanks
    Click on the Check for updates link on the left side of the window and see if it comes back, who knows.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    Click on the Check for updates link on the left side of the window and see if it comes back, who knows.
    I tried that earlier today and also just did it again.

No joy.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. Sometimes it's the little obvious things that you overlook!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobac297 View Post
    FWIW, I had installed the IE8 security updates in the first wave and installed IE9 in the second wave of updates that I did yesterday. I did NOT install SP1.

Does anyone know what the explanation is for security update KB2510531 not currently showing up on any list? It looks like it just disappeared!
    KB2510531 may have been rendered unnecessary when you installed IE9, since it relates to JScript and VBScript scripting engines.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    KB2510531 may have been rendered unnecessary when you installed IE9, since it relates to JScript and VBScript scripting engines.
    That sounds plausible.

I had hoped to find some mention of it via Google, something to the effect of what you're suggesting, but I came up empty.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobac297 View Post
    That sounds plausible.

I had hoped to find some mention of it via Google, something to the effect of what you're suggesting, but I came up empty.
    For future reference, you can find fairly detailed information about any Windows Update by using the search at the Microsoft Knowledge Base.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another way to lookup KB articles is ....
    support.microsoft.com/kb/Article#

For the KB2510531. The info update address would be .....
    support.microsoft.com/kb/2510531

Here is the link to KB2510531 .....
    Description of the security update for the JScript and VBScript v5.8 scripting engines: April 12, 2011

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I actually did go to that page early in my searching, but nothing on it seemed to address my question. When I just now returned to it and drilled down several layers and reached this page http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms11-031.mspx, I then saw where it said that, if you have IE9 installed, which I do, then you're golden since the updates are incorporated in IE9.

It would have made things easier if that information was on the first page and not so well hidden.

The universe once again makes sense . . .

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Please see also my reply to tfspry. Your original observation was correct about IE9 making the update unnecessary.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, everyone, for all your help. Much appreciated!