New Lounger
    Thanks

Trusteer Rapport & advanced-web-analytics.com cookie question

I recently installed a security product that my bank recommended called Trusteer Rapport. Since then I have found a cookie called "advanced-web-analytics.com" when I load Firefox 4. It is there every time I open my Firefox browser. I have tried blocking it and adding the website to my hosts file. Nothing works to keep it off. I have to delete it every time.

Do you know anything about Trusteer Rapport? Can some one tell me anything about advanced-web-analytics.com and how to be able to keep its cooking from showing up in Firefox? It does no good to just go in and put a block on it.

Thanks
    Googling turned up a thread on another forum where posters associate the cookie with Rapport (http://forums.hexus.net/operating-sy...ytics-com.html).

It is a little concerning that the domain registration for advanced-web-analytics.com is anonymous. Are you blocking cookies from that domain in the Exceptions dialog? It would be highly unusual for that not to work.

===

I'm going to move this thread to the Security forum.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have set Firefox to block them but it did not do any good. When I open Firefox they are back. I delete them but next time Firefox is opened they are back.

I am using Windows 7 and do not know where to check for them in Windows.
    Last edited by ninajb; 2011-04-18 at 01:12.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ninajb View Post
    I have set Firefox to block them but it did not do any good. When I open Firefox they are back. I delete them but next time Firefox is opened they are back. I am using Windows 7 and do not know where to check for them in Windows.
    Cookies are stored in a database file, so not easy to delete from outside Firefox.

It may well be that because it isn't a web page, Rapport itself isn't bound by that blocking mechanism. However, normal web pages shouldn't be able to set/read that cookie, so it's strange that it appears in the cookies list. Without snooping on a lot of your surfing, I'm not sure there is a way to verify that it is used only when communicating with your bank.

You might send an inquiry to Trusteer: http://www.trusteer.com/support/report-problem

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ninajb View Post
    I have set Firefox to block them but it did not do any good. When I open Firefox they are back. I delete them but next time Firefox is opened they are back.

I am using Windows 7 and do not know where to check for them in Windows.
    This came from Trusteer.com Live Chat help.

Raz: Please note that this cookie is created legitimately by Rapport. It merely signals to the website that Rapport is installed. This is used by your bank's site to avoid offering you the Rapport download again

Raz: There is no reason to rid of the cookie, as it is harmless and not invasive. It can be manually deleted, but will then be created again by Rapport, once the browser is started. We are working on a way to bypass the need for a cookie, for this functionality.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This info was supplied by Trusteer.com Live Chat help.

Raz: Please note that this cookie is created legitimately by Rapport. It merely signals to the website that Rapport is installed. This is used by your bank's site to avoid offering you the Rapport download again

Raz: There is no reason to rid of the cookie, as it is harmless and not invasive. It can be manually deleted, but will then be created again by Rapport, once the browser is started. We are working on a way to bypass the need for a cookie, for this functionality.