New Lounger
    Mesa, AZ USA

Creating custom grammar and dictionary in either MS Office or Open Office?

I know that both OO and MSO will allow custom dictionaries. I am working on an ambitious project to rewrite the grammatical rules for written English.

Is there a way to throw out the current rules and rewrite them so only the newly adopted rules are applied?

Ideally I envision a person being able to write in conventional plain English and the software effectively translating it into the new form, applying all applicable grammatical rules.

I have a page that covers some of what I'm shooting for at

IO also have a page on Facebook, "The Millennial English Project" if you would like to give feed back or offer linguistic suggestions
    Shawn J
    Last edited by SJefferds; 2011-04-17 at 22:57. Reason: Changed link

Silicon Valley, USA
    A user can turn off Word's built-in grammar checking and install a third party add-in, but I don't know of a way for a third party add-in to integrate directly in place of Microsoft's proofing tools.

Perhaps that isn't really what you want. Have you taken a look at AutoCorrect? I think there might be some ultimate limit to the number of AutoCorrect entries, but you can get a lot of the most common words in there.

Comment: Separate and apart from the question of pronunciation, having a lot of capital letter mixed into text is a bit of an eyesore.