New Lounger
    Thanks

Networking Windows 7 and Vista

I had a Belkin 54g router wired to a Windows XP desktop PC, and a laptop running Vista connected by wireless to the router.
    This setup worked fine with both PC's able to connect to each other on my network and to the internet.
    However, I then purchased a Windows 7 desktop PC (still the one wired to the router) and now each PC will only connect to the internet when the other is offline. As soon as I put both online, the router connection is broken and I have to power it off and on to get my connection back. (And take one PC offline!)
    I have spent hours, if not days, searching the net for a solution, but to no avail. I have tried numerous ideas noted in various forums and on different sites, but nothing has worked.
    Please, does anybody have an answer to this problem?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem resolved!

Caused by an earlier version of Network Magic that was on the XP and Vista PC's. This program was migrated to the Windows 7 PC when everything was transferred over from XP.

Removed Network Magic from the desktop Windows 7 PC and the network is now working fine - and both PC's can access the internet concurrently.

Thanks
    Garpet, Welcome to the Lounge. It's always nice to hear from new members.

Thanks for letting is know the solution. Win 7 has proven easier to network for most of us and an incompatibility with an installed app quite often causes these types of problems. In your case, Network Magic is a Cisco app and was most likely conflicting with your Belkin router.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you got any evidence that your statement is true, that "Network Magic is a Cisco app and was most likely conflicting with your Belkin router"? I've never seen anything like that. In a review of Network Magic Essentials, PCWorld noted:

"There is also a $50 version of the program, Cisco Network Magic Pro, designed for small business networks, that supports more PCs and network-attached storage devices, offers Internet access controls, and has other network management features. Cisco Network Magic Pro and Cisco Network Magic Essentials are the same download, which times out after seven days. During that seven-day period, you get all the features of Cisco Network Magic Pro. To use the program after that, you'll have to pay the registration fee for either version. Also note that if you have a Linksys router if after seven days you don't register, you can use the software as Cisco Network Magic Basic, which includes the network map, some security features, and several other useful tools, but not nearly as many as for Cisco Network Magic Pro and Cisco Network Magic Essentials."

Cisco didn't develop Network Magic, they bought it or the company that did, Pure Networks. I'm not denying there could have been a problem with it on the Win7 PC, but I doubt the software is Cisco/Linksys specific.

Thanks
    Cisco is the manufacturer of Linksys routers, a competitor of Belkin. I did not specify that there was a conflict, I stated there most likely was a conflict. Notice the difference. it only makes sense that an app owned by and distributed by one manufacturer of routers will not work properly with a competiting router manufactyurer product. On the supplied page I have attached notice the Cisco name as well as the Linksys name and the links to various Network Magic articles. Again I have no definitive proof this caused the PO's problem except that when removed, his problem was resolved.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    It is unlikely that Cisco would deliberately cause this kind of conflict, but it is also unlikely that they have tested Network Magic as exhaustively with Belkin routers as they have with their own. (If at all.)

In fact, I have had used three generations of Linksys routers and have never been able to get encrypted VPN tunnels to work between two different models. I am now upgrading to ZyXEL routers and the old Linksys ones won't link up with them, either, even without encryption. So they are all being replaced.

The world is too complex and we humans who have created it are barely more than chimpanzees, so you can't expect everything to work with everything. We share 98% of our DNA with chimps, and a lot of that 2% difference is obviously used in creating different feet, different hands, different pelvic girdles, (can we say "girdles" in this forum?) different faces, different vocal chords, different speech centers in the brain, etc. Not much of that 2% is left to define superior brains. :-)

--Brian