5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question "Website wants to open web content..."

In the last few days, my wife has been getting these "pop-up" panels, while running Internet Explorer. with messages to the the extent that "A website wants to open web content using this program on your computer..." There appear to be three of these and they are each different, involving different "applications". They ask for instructions - "Allow" - "Do not Allow", etc. and they then go away, only to reappear the next time the browser is activated by, for example, opening another web page. It also gives a message saying that this "page" will open outside of ...protected mode.

This "activity" started about 2 or 3 days ago, we don't know why it started and we don't know what started it. Can someone tell me what is going on, i.e., what is causing this message to appear and how to get rid of it - it is driving her a bit crazy, having these panels pop up almost every time she opens a new web page and every time she starts up her browser. I ran CCleaner and cleaned up the Trash, the temporary files and the registry, but this didn't seem to have any affect on this situation. We are both running Win 7 (64 bit) and IE as our browser and I don't have this problem - go figure!

Any insight or assistance that anyone would care to provide will be greatly appreciated by both me and my wife, Thanks.

Ron_M

Thanks
    You could have picked up some Malware that IE is trying to protect you from. Download and run Malwarebytes .

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You could have picked up some Malware that IE is trying to protect you from. Download and run Malwarebytes .

Jerry
    We have the latest version of Norton Internet Security installed (2011 version) - is this not enough? Just asking...

Maybe I will do a scan and see what that picks up, if anything - will this tell me if malware is the problem?

If it isn't "malware", any other thoughts as to what might be causing this? Thanks.

Ron_M

Thanks
    No one security app catches everything. Malwarebytes is the best app I've found to catch the really nasties. I would download and run it just in case. The free version doesn't have an active componant so it shouldn't conflict with Norton's. If that doesn't find anything, I would also download Hijackthis and submit the resulting log to this site for instant analysis.

Jerry

Thanks
    Take,Jerry's advice.Because not all Internet Security suits catch everything.
    Once you have Internet Explorer open.Go to,Tools,Internet Options.Click on the,Privacy tab.Then click on the Pop-up Blocker settings.Click on the drop down list,Make this setting level HIGH.This will help block the panels coming up.Note some time she will have to hold down the Ctrl & the Alt key for some things.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    If you haven't found a solution, perhaps you can post a screen shot of what the panels look like. Also, consider any recent changes to the browser such as search toolbars or other helpful add-ons.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys for the replies. Jerry, I will try and run malwarebytes and see what I get. I have used Hijackthis before on my own machine and will try it if malwarebytes tells us nothing.

Chowur, I will definitely look at the settings for her pop-up blocker and see what's up. I had forgotten about this aspect of IE...just so much too remember..this is why forums like this one are so valuable to guys like me...retired IT types but non-techie...

jscher, posting a screenshot - I'll get to that, I guess as a last resort. We haven't added any search toolbars or add-ons to the browser...this whole thing seemed to have started, if I am correct, a few days ago when we were trying to scan a document on a scanner attached to her machine - scanner hasn't been used for a while...we did get it to work okay, but I am not sure why this activity should result ins this "pop-up warning" activity...go figure...

Regards,

Ron_M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2011-04-19 at 03:32.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update...Jerry, I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes and it found nothing. As chowur suggested, I have upgraded her popup-blocker level. Now the interesting thing...there have been no recuurences of this situation today, and in fact from last night on, everything seems to be back to normal, so I am of the school that says "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...so I am going to leave it alone for now (don't want to tempt fate) and simply watch to see if there are any further occurrences of this problem - maybe this was one of those "one time" things brought about by a unique set of conditions on her machine and may never occur again(??).

I would like to thank you all, Jerry, chowur and jscher for your suggestions and help with this situation. Thanks.

Cheers,

Ron_M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2011-04-19 at 13:46.