Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 opens in two windows

My copy of Outlook 2010, when launched, is suddenly opening in two windows instead of the normal one window. As far as I can tell, it began behaving this way after a restart. I applied the patches offered in the latest Windows Update last week, but this issue didn't appear until now, almost a week later, so I don't think there's a connection. The windows are exact duplicates, with the same lists of messages, etc. After dismissing the extra window, everything seems fine.

If I exit Outlook and launch it again, I get two windows. Every time. The behavior also survives PC restarts.

SYSTEM DETAILS:
    Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 Build 7601 (64-bit)
    Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010, Click-to-Run Version 14.0.5138.5002
    Outlook Version 14.0.5128.5000 (32-bit)

Is anyone else seeing this strange behavior? Does anyone know what might be causing this, and how I can make it stop?

--Larry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Are the two windows for different Outlook folders such as Inbox & Calendar?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for responding. No, it's always two identical windows of the same Inbox view, the folder I have set to open every time I launch Outlook.

--Larry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Realize this is an old thread but I just encountered this and resolved it. This happens when the window you close is the primary window, leaving the secondary window open. When you exit Outlook, it remembers that you had the secondary window open last, and restores the primary window the next time you launch it.

So, it resolve the issue, be sure to close the secondary window and work only in the primary window.

Hope that makes sense.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Outlook 2010 opens in two windows

I just confirmed that closing the secondary window first will solve this problem. In my case, I had right clkd on Inbox to Open a New Window, but did not close that window first when exiting Outlook. So from that point on, opening Outlook resulted in that secondary window opening as well.