Thanks

Cleaning Up Contacts

In my journey to figure out how to control the sorting of the window in e-mail when you (I) press the "To" button, I found that the "Display As field for some of my contacts has several names in it, and it's not always the first one that gets used to display in the To window.

Is there a way to clear out all the names from that drop down that you don't need or want?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are referring to the 'suggestion' or 'history' drop down list that appears when you start to type in the To: field, you can use the up/down arrows to select and the delete key to remove an item from the 'history.'

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You can use NK2edit to clean up suggested names list. Note: NK2edit is free for home use. See the license section at the product page.

Joe

Thanks
    Guys, maybe I'm not looking at NK2edit right, but it seems to have nowhere *near* enough entries to cover all the contacts. It's only showing 35+ entries, and I have hundreds of contacts.

It's specifically the "File As" drop down that I'm looking to edit, for it is that field that [obviously] controls where ithe contact ends up on the list -- and it doesn't seem to always be "the first" one on the list. So, since that's true, I figgered if I erased all but one choice, I could then control the "File As" operation.

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    NK2Edit targets your NK2 file, which consists of stored name resolutions (autocomplete entries). It does not directly edit your Contacts.

Going back to your first post, I think the confusion was about typing in the To field versus clicking the To button to display the Address Book dialog.

I just got Outlook 2010. When I click To and choose Contacts, my Address Book dialog has the columns Name, Display Name, Email address. Is yours set up differently?