5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unwanted toolbar

I have an unwanted toolbar that seems to defy uninstallation, and which accordingly is suspected malware. I didn't knowingly install it and I certainly don't want it. I can follow it back through a conveniently-placed help file, view two pretty buildings which it claims are its offices, and it helpfully explains that it can be uninstalled from the Control Panel.

Neither the Control Panel nor Revo Professional will remove it (from IE and Firefox). It is called Ask, and I don't want it. Is it malware? Does anyone know how to get rid of it?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Resolved

I am happy to report that this scheme was not a toolbar but a Home Page that had somehow been planted on my browers, and the solution is merely to change the Home Page on each affected browsers.

I must say this this was not an act calculated to generate good will on the part of the user, and I should bill the perpetrators for the troubleshooting time and annoyance. Heaven knows what other unwanted treasures they planted while they were at it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Glad you got it worked out. The ASK toolbar is loaded as part of several software installations. It is very easy to overlook the opportunity to skip the installation of the toolbar and setting of your homepage. Vigilance and close reading of the install q&a is a must.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Glad you got it worked out. The ASK toolbar is loaded as part of several software installations. It is very easy to overlook the opportunity to skip the installation of the toolbar and setting of your homepage. Vigilance and close reading of the install q&a is a must.

Joe
    and that is the exact reason I always watch for a "custom installation", and if that is not there, keep my eyes on the road while installing a new program. I have seen the ASK toolbar in several software installations.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)