2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 SP1 Install problem

Trying to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64 (now using windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe). I get the "Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1) installation error: 0x800F0A12" problem.

The webpage for this error says the problem can be:

• The system partition isnít automatically mounted, or made accessible to Windows, during startup.
    • A hard disk containing the system partition was removed prior to beginning SP1 installation.
    • Windows is running on a storage area network (SAN), and access to the system partition has been disabled.
    • A disk management tool from another software manufacturer was used to copy (or clone) the disk or partition on which youíre trying to install SP1.

The system partition on my SSD drive is 100MB, is active, is not removed, is not on an SAN, and was not created using a disk or partition management tool. I've used Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management to check the above. Still get the error.

Anybody have some other ideas to try?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I got this error because I use grub to boot my system. I had to power off and disconnect my boot drive so that the Win 7 boot loader would run. (I have grub, xp and ubuntu on the boot drive, and win 7 on a separate drive.) At that point SP1 installed just fine. After the SP1 install, I powered off my PC, reconnected the other drive, reconfigured my BIOS to boot from the drive with Grub on it, and was back in business.

BTW, I did have to download and install the standalone version.
    Last edited by cafed00d; 2011-04-19 at 20:32.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, my problem system does not use grub or any other multiple boot system...just Win7. Hmmm...I could probably boot it from a CD, then see if it would install on the "unused" Win7x64 partition.

How did the standalone SP1 installer know what partition to upgrade, if it was disconnected? Didn't follow your description there...

Thanks
    Did you attempt the upgrade from Windows Update? If so try downloading the file directly from MS, then updating from the downloaded file. Before installing shutdown all other apps including your AV. (If you don't feel comfortable doing this while connected to the web simply disconnect) The download is rather large and will take a while to install so be patient.

I hope this helps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    See if Windows 7 SP1 install fails helps.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Worked! In particular the part about repairing the BCD file:

• Ensure that the System Reserved partition is marked active (you can do this in Disk Management or DISKPART)
    • If you dont have a 100MB System Reserved Partition, make sure the drive with your Windows installation is active
    • Make sure that the Windows installation is the only active volume on your installation
    • If you have a 100MB System Reserved partition and it is marked active, give the partition a drive letter and reattempt the service pack installation
    • If you have SnapDrive from NetApp installed, it may need to be removed for the installation to work properly (source: http://communities.netapp.com/thread/13704)
    • Your BCD file could be corrupted, this can be checked by running BCDEDIT at an elevated command prompt to see if it returns normal values to you. If it does not you'll need to rebuild it.
      • Rebuild the BCD store on your system by booting into WinRE and run the command: bootrec /rebuildbcd to rebuild the file

• Lastly, disconnect any external devices, particularly storage devices such as EBooks and thumb drives

Now have SP1 installed, thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You're welcome. Glad you got it resolved and more importantly were able to install SP1. Thanks for posting your solution.

Joe