Lounger
    Thanks

Open File (97 SR-2)

In "open file" (opening an existing file in Word 97) I want a wildcard search with certain characteristics. My file-naming system is a two-letter code for the client, followed by four numbers for the job number, followed by -inv if it's the invoice for the job. Thus, the job will look like: AB-3456.doc and the invoice for it will look like: AB-3456-inv.doc.

How do I find all invoices for client AB? I have tried AB*inv and find nothing. I've tried finding all the AB's then looking for inv (as a subset of AB; this works in good ol' WordPerfect), with no luck.

Any ideas? Thx - Isabel

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open File (97 SR-2)

You could try AB-????-inv.doc - the question mark looks for one character, so this should find only documents with that number of characters ... at least, that's my understanding of it. The trouble with the * is that it will find any and all characters from that point on, no matter how many - so it won't do what you want in this instance.
    Beryl M

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Isabel:

I might say that I hate looking for files in the File/Open dialog box. Sometimes when you're looking for files, you haven't actually added the search criteria (if you're using the advanced screen) & sometimes you forget to clear out old criteria. I find the easiest way is to click the taskbar, press F3, & type into the Find/Files or Folders dialog box.

If you do that, either your way or Beryl's will quickly find your files.

Hope this helps.

Lounger
    Thanks

This works fine; thanks very much. I'm a little cross with Word that they made it so difficult - one has to count how many characters to replace with question marks instead of just using an asterisk for "any character string." Oh well.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi - I don't know that system, but Beryl's solution is working well. Thanks.