New Lounger
    Thanks

Chrome slow on Google searches!

I have recently started using Chrome 10 as a second browser with Firefox 3.6 as my default. I did this because I had read some good things about Chrome and wanted to compare it. However I found what I regard as a very strange problem - carrying out a Google search is painfully slow. It can take between 30-60 seconds to return the results! I have a dialog box at the bottom of the screen that says "send a request" and this can stay like that for most of the time before the target URL comes up and the page loads. Yesterday I tried another search and the same things happened so I launched FF, entered the same search and still got the results before the Chrome version had finished. This clearly can't be everyone's experience so I wonder what I can do to improve the situation. I would never use Chrome as it is because it is just way too slow and I do make a lot of Google searches - also why would a Google browser be so slow with a Google search?

Thanks
    I wonder whether it's an apples-to-apples comparison, i.e., same logged-in/logged-out status on both browsers, same add-ons that could be related to search somehow...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There are going to be differences between the two set ups but in a sense this is what happens when, as an ordinary user, you want to compare browsers. To be clear, both Chrome 10 and FF3 are on the same machine where I have been using FF in its different versions as my main browser for at least 2 years. I downloaded Chrome and carried out the standard installation so this should be just as most people will have it set up.

I like the appearance of Chrome and it can be very quick loading pages but the most notable issue is the length of time to complete a Google search. I am used to these taking less than a second and certainly less than 2-3 seconds but using Chrome it can literally take 30 seconds to 1 minute. This difference is so striking and different from the general comments about how quick Chrome can be that there must be something very wrong. So I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and whether they could sort it out. I have searched on-line (using FF!) but haven't come across a reference to this sort of problem

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A couple of thoughts......
    Is Chrome up to date (ver. 10.0.648.205) ?
    In Chrome, is Google setup as the default search engine?
    In Chrome's Task Manager - How does CPU usage look?
    In Windows Task Manager - How high is CPU usage with Chrome vs. FireFox?

Can you give us a couple of the search terms you have trouble with?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogsownluck View Post
    I have a dialog box at the bottom of the screen that says "send a request" and this can stay like that for most of the time
    This seems to indicate a networking issue - apparently Chrome is having a hard time contacting the google server. You might check your network settings, such as proxies and such. I thin that Chrome uses the same network settings and IE, does I have the same delay issue.