New Lounger
    Thanks

Removal of dual booting of Windows XP & 7

Currently I am experiencing a seemingly intractable problem. On booting up the following screen message appears under the heading of Windows Boot Manager
    " A chemge in either the software or Hardware has caused the need to run the Windows installation Disks choosing the repair option. There is also a reference to "File Boot\BCD" and "Status 0xc000000f " whatever that sigifies.
    There is no response to running the Windows installation discs and I assumed that I have lost my MBR. However I can add that I am fully aware what was the change in the software which has prompted this to come about this being detailed below
    To explain since the introduction of Windows 7 in October 2009 I have been dual booting to Windows XP and Windows 7.. Recently I decided it was time to ditch Windows XP and rely solely on Windows 7.
    With this in mind I prepared system images of the entire system, also Windows 7 only on an external hard drive. In addition I prepared a set of DVDs containing both the MBR and Windows 7. For good measure also several bootable DVDs On the face of it this was I thought a "belt and braces" approach to prepare me for whatever might arise.
    It was at this point from t a Windows Tech Center forum I came acrooss the following listing
    "To make Windows start without prompting fpr a dual boot do the following steps - Go to Control Panel/System & Maintenance/System/ AdvancedSystem Setting (on the left tab) select advanced from the tab and click settings in Startup and Recovery - uncheck time to to display list of operating systems then select O.K."
    Having done this I founnd listed an earlier operating system ( Windows XP) and Windows 7. I remobved the tick from the former and clicked O.K.
    At this point I felt confident about having done this because I knew I had, if things went wrong ,the various backups referre to would provide a remedy
    However things did go dramatically wrong because on the next boot I was confronted with the Windows Boot Manager screen referred to above. Moreover nothing done with the Windows installation discs or the various DVD backups previously referred to would restore the MBR and operating system
    Any assistance or advice as to how to restore some normality would be very much appreciated.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mzee80 View Post
    Recently I decided it was time to ditch Windows XP and rely solely on Windows 7.

Any assistance or advice as to how to restore some normality would be very much appreciated.
    mzee80,
    Hello... Sounds like a real problem... Keep in mind this is what i would do....I'm sure many would disagree.
    1. Download and run Macrium Reflect (free) http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp Burn the "Recovery Disk"

2. Download EasyBCD and install (also free) http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

3. With EasyBCD make your "7" OS the default

4. Image "7" with "Macrium" and save it someplace safe (You didn't say how many drives your running) I would use a "Data Drive" (internal)

5. Restore the "7" image to wherever you want ...I would opt for Drive 0 position 1

6. "Boot er-up"..... done Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I am assuming that you had XP installed on the PC, and then installed Windows 7 to another partition/drive, since that is what your symptoms indicate.

I would restore one of your complete images in order to get back to where you were before all this happened.

Your BCD store is located on the XP partition. If you are wanting to ditch XP, you need to copy the BCD store to the Windows 7 partition/drive, and then edit the BCD store to reflect that partition/drive as the default boot drive.

Windows 7 is an improved version of Windows, but you can still shoot yourself in the foot.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hopefully you have solved your problem but if not!!! --- you might like to try this approach which I used to solve a very similar problem.
    1. Restore the image you made of your entire system--- not just win 7.
    2. You should be able then to boot up .
    3. Use the detailed instructions given in the following article http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...iguration/1751. Follow the instructions very carefully as many steps are crucial. It worked for me!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry about the delay in responding to the helpful suggestions. In the event the problem experienced was all due to a corrupt MBR which I was able to correct by extracting from the Windows 7 installation disk. I would add that I wish I had seen the link provided by mcbn earlier - it would have saved much stress. Many thanks to you all.