Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Windows "7" Movie Maker ?

Hello all,
    Wasn't sure but think that this post will do the most good here. I have found that Windows 7 has done away with "Movie Maker 6" If you want the "new" you then must download a whole pile of windows Blah, Blah, (Windows Live) to get their new and improved Movie Maker . which isn't as good as the old.... Alas what to do ....found this link to download Movie Maker 6 that works with "7" 64 as well as 32 http://movies.blainesville.com/p/wmm...windows-7.html I have tried them both and they work without all the Windows Live "Drama",just follow the instructions... Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-04-20 at 09:14.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice find, thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaystarter1 View Post
    Nice find, thanks.
    Hello... one more thing i for got to mention ...This will make a .MSWMM movie..not recognizable by the "new" Windows DVD Maker ...No big deal ...When finished with your video...( do this work around) "Click" Publish>Then Click> "MY Computer"... and it will turn it into a .WMV which you now can burn with the new Windows DVD Maker. For an explanation see this http://www.mp4kits.com/Converter/Win...ube-converter/ Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-04-20 at 19:49.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    When you install Windows Live Essentials for the first time you get to choose which pieces of it you want to install. You may choose to install just Movie Maker. There may be some required support pieces beyond Movie Maker. If you've already installed a version of WLE then when you install a newer version it will automatically upgrade all the components which are installed.

Joe

Thanks
    We downloaded 3 of the parts of the WLE suite of apps. WLM is our mail client since Win 7 does not have a default mail client, Windows live Photo Gallery (my wife uses this to manipulate photos. I know there may be others with more features, but she likes this.) and Windows Movie Maker. I do not use Movie Maker either, but she does seem to like it. I agree with Joe that you only download and install those components you wish to use. We only installed 3 of the components.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-04-21 at 20:30.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    When you install Windows Live Essentials for the first time you get to choose which pieces of it you want to install. You may choose to install just Movie Maker. There may be some required support pieces beyond Movie Maker.
    Joe , Ted,

Hello... I have tried the "Windows Live Essentials" Using Acronis Try& Decide . I Unchecked all but "Movie Maker". It Then insisted that a whole bunch of other "Blah, Blah, had to come along with the Movie Maker....( Also when finished with all the download of MS twaddle....Movie maker wasn't installed ,some error message) so you can't just download the Movie Maker ..... Thanks but "NO Thanks" Also the "NEW and Improved " does not have some features that the "Old" Movie Maker had. (Just like MS to "botch up" a perfectly good program) So the stand alone download from the link (above) is by far the best way to go (with the DVD work around ) Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-04-21 at 09:48.
    PlainFred

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Can you detail what else was required? As I said there may be some required support files. I see this as no different than the Apple Application support software that gets installed automatically when you install just about anything from them. Just because you may see the extra files now does not mean they weren't there before or they were considered part of the OS. With all of the anti-trust "fun" that Microsoft had in the recent past they made a decision to remove some of the extras that were previously included in the OS.

It is perfectly fine that you made a decision to use an old version. I'd just like to know what the rest of the software is that is required to be installed.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I think the current installer forces you to, at least, include Photo Gallery with Movie Maker.