Lounger
    Thanks

Page number bar gone (97 SR-2)

The bar along the bottom of the screen that shows what page I'm on (and, I believe the position on the page) has disappeared. I've tried looking under View/Toolbars and have tried moving windows 'n' panes 'n' things up and down, to no avail.

Any ideas?

Isabel

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Page number bar gone (97 SR-2)

You're might be looking for the Status Bar, and you are right, it could be hidden behind open windows. If it is turned off In W97, try looking under Tools, Options, then the View tab with a check-box for Status Bar.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, but it was checked under Tools/Options/Status bar.

Encouraged by your telling me what the thing is called (Status Bar) I looked for it in Help but there, as the Irishman said, it wasn't.

Why is Help missing so many things?

Isabel

Lounger
    Thanks

Here are a couple other things to try:

Make sure Word is maximized, so part of the bottom of the Word window is not cut off - the middle button in the upper right corner of the screen (to the left of the X) should show 2 little boxes, not 1 box. Also make sure any open docs are maximized, too.

Check what View you are in: under the View menu, you should be under Page Layout or Normal.

Yes, the help is not so helpful - it is good for getting some direction before trying something new, but not good for fixing problems.

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, we're getting there. It was already in Normal view and maximimized, but you did give me the impetus to fiddle with the bottom line a bit (and I'm not talking about financial statements <g>). I nudged it until it revealed the Status Bar (hooray) but it promptly hid the whatchamacallit with the buttons for the other open applications (boo).

Any other ideas would be warmly appreciated...

Isabel

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Isabel:

The "whatchamacallit with the buttons for the other open applications" is called a taskbar. You probably have autohide on. Hold the mouse near the bottom of the screen until it pops up (or press Ctrl+Esc or Windows key). Right click a blank spot on the taskbar (or the time on the right) & choose "properties". Untick the box marked "autohide".

Lounger
    Thanks

That whatis might be the Task Bar - to change it's settings, right-click on button/picture free part of it, choose Properties. The problem could be that Always on top is not checked on, so open windows can cover it up. Once you turn it back on and Maximize Word, you might see the bottom line again.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Phil and Loren (is it OK to thank two people with one message? it's considered courteous on other boards as it saves space). I have now been happily right-clicking on the Quick Launch taskbar (as I now find it's called) and doing all sorts of strange and wonderful things to it, including revealing the status bar. Everything now AOK. Most grateful.

Isabel