Star Lounger
    Thanks

csrss.exe file problems

Yesterday, one of my researchers picked up a virus. We were able to remove most of it with Malwarebytes and MSE, but there seems to be a residual file somewhere blocking access to the internet through Firefox and Explorer. We can get e-mails. We saw a file in the temp file called csrss.exe. That has been deleted but the registry is still looking for it as I get 2 warnings when we reboot. Running XP home sp3. I didn't notice anything glaring on the process explorer but I have to admit that I don't know what they all mean anyway. Any ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Have you tried a sytem restore to a time previous to the infection?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have not tried that. If I do, will it remove e-mails received or other new files we have saved since then?

Thanks
    Are you really sure you've cleaned the system? If so, check the following:

Open Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet options > Connections > LAN settings and uncheck 'Use proxy server' then apply it and OK your way back out - test again.

If that's successful, do the same with Firefox; Tools > Options > Advanced > Connections > Settings and select No proxy, OK both and test.

Obviously, if you DO use proxy settings, find out what they are and replace the hijacked ones with the correct settings.

Careful use of Autoruns should enable you to track down the triggers for the missing malware files to stop the boot time error messages - careful - misuse of Autoruns will kill Windows.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That worked!!!!
    Thanks. Any thoughts on how to remove the need for XP to continue to look for the csrss.exe files in the registry? I downloaded a cleaner (PC Health Advisor) and ran it but it didn't pick that up

Thanks
    Use Autoruns that I linked to earlier, take your time, if you uncheck something you shouldn't, you could make more problems.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb AutoRuns Forum

Hi : IF needed, Autoruns has a Support Forum that may help !? See : http://forum.sysinternals.com/autoruns_forum16.html
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritWind View Post
    Hi : IF needed, Autoruns has a Support Forum that may help !? See : http://forum.sysinternals.com/autoruns_forum16.html
    Agreed; also, Autoruns has a save feature, you could zip and upload the resulting file somewhere and I or someone else with Autoruns experience could check and modify the file and re-upload so it could be imported back to your Autoruns without the malware trigger points enabled. Then, you could use the Compare feature in Autoruns to set your own PC up correctly.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You can still do the System Restore, it will clean any vestige of the infection. System Restore does not affect any documents or email messages.