New Lounger
    Thanks

Mysterious problem

OK, I've got an interesting one. First, a little background.
    I'm a sysadmin at an accounting firm in Baton Rouge, and I've been managing PCs for more than 20 years, so you'd think I'd have seen it all, right?
    Well check this out.

I recently had a hard drive fail on a Dell Laptop (Precision Workstation M6500), so I replaced the drive with a spare and loaded it up with Windows XP SP3 and all the regular applications we use here: Office 2007 and accounting and tax stuff, totally boring. So everything seems A-OK. The user is getting his work done just fine.

One day though, he takes it home, and it doesn't work right for him. He can't start any applications - it just hangs. I replicated the problem at the office, simply by shutting it off, disconnecting the LAN cable and booting. It uses the cached creds for our domain to log in with no apparent problems. But the minute you try to start, say, Excel, it just hangs.

I haven't done any deep digging yet, but the symptoms are so counterintuitive that I thought I'd run it past the lounge lizards and see if it sounded familiar to anyone.

We are running AVG 2011 and the full (realtime protection) version of Malware Bytes, so if its trash it is pretty sneaky trash.

Anyway, I'd love to hear if anyone has a reasonable hypothesis on this...

Thanks!

Hugh-know-who

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've seen something similar. Are you guys using GPO to redirect "My Computer" to the user's home drive? Where I used to work we had to disable the folder redirection policy for laptops because of this issue. The other thought is that I'm wondering if are you perhaps using a transform file (.mst) with MS Office that points the path defaults to a network drive?
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Good thoughts, Doc.

I am pretty sure that we aren't doing those specific things, but there could be something similar going on - such as the default data path for Excel being a network home folder.
    I will look into it.

One caveat - though Excel was the example I gave, I believe he is having trouble with other programs which should not have that configuration issue. I'll check it out though.

Hugh-know-who