iNET Interactive
    Thanks

A new way for Office docs to be gone in Flash

IN THE WILD

A new way for Office docs to be gone in Flash

By Robert Vamosi

Security in businesses large and small is increasingly threatened by flaws in everyday applications such as Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Reader, and Acrobat that are embedded in Microsoft Office products.

Adobe and Microsoft need to move more swiftly to protect users, especially when so few tools presently exist to help users help themselves.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2011/04/21/08 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks
    Adobe is not worried about patching Reader X right away, because this version can implement Flash content sandboxing, although this feature is not implemented by default. The Chrome browser does sandbox Flash content already. The missing link is MS Office. What I do not know is whether OpenOffice and LibreOffice (which I use exclusively) sandbox Flash and other plug-in content. Also, in lieu of Adobe Reader, NitroPDF, Foxit Reader or Nuance may not share the same vulnerabilities. I do know that NitroPDF does get updated pretty quickly if security issues arise.
    -- Bob Primak --