iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Special report on small-business security

INTRODUCTION

By Tracey Capen

This issue marks what may be a first for Windows Secrets an entire issue devoted to one topic.

The theme for this week is small-business security. It's the first of a series of special issues we plan to publish each year.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2011/04/21/02 (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down Totally worthless issue

Since I am NOT a small business owner, or even work for one, this is the first issue of Windows Secrets that I have no use for and will just be deleting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracey Capen View Post

INTRODUCTION

By Tracey Capen

This issue marks what may be a first for Windows Secrets an entire issue devoted to one topic.

The theme for this week is small-business security. It's the first of a series of special issues we plan to publish each year.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2011/04/21/02 (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This entire issue was counterproductive. The messages presented can be summarized as:

1. Don't trust your employees.
    2. Restrict their access to everything and lock down their computers making it difficult if not impossible for them to do their jobs.
    3. Require innumerable verification activities to waste their time and make them feel like a suspect every time they try to work.

Any company that treats employees like this can look forward to low morale, constant turnover, and deliberate retaliation by fed-up tech savvy workers. I'm saddened that Windows Secrets is supporting the Dilbertification of the workplace.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by r.woodward View Post
    This entire issue was counterproductive. The messages presented can be summarized as:

1. Don't trust your employees.
    2. Restrict their access to everything and lock down their computers making it difficult if not impossible for them to do their jobs.
    3. Require innumerable verification activities to waste their time and make them feel like a suspect every time they try to work.

Any company that treats employees like this can look forward to low morale, constant turnover, and deliberate retaliation by fed-up tech savvy workers. I'm saddened that Windows Secrets is supporting the Dilbertification of the workplace.
    I wrote two of the articles and we've not had turn over in our firm.
    Two factor authentication doesn't slow me down. It does mean I don't have to force people to change their passwords every thirty days as an example.

You do not have to restrict employees access to everything. You do need to respect that not every single person in the office needs access to EVERYTHING.