5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Networking_Newbie router question

I have a Cisco/Linksys router configured for my Dell desktop, usingRoadRunner to connect to the Internet.

Attached is a picture of the default security settings.

I dont know what the unchecked boxes mean, so I dont know if any/all wouldprovide

more security for me, or if they are only for special situations.

Would someone clarify these for me, so I can decide whether I need to checkany of these?

Thank you,

Dick
    Cisco2.bmp

Thanks
    For NAT redirection, see http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14975822
    For Filter Multicast, see http://www.ehow.com/facts_7734859_li...multicast.html

Personally, I would leave these settings as default in most situations. The most important security measure is to enable wpa2 encryption with a stron password.

Jerry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2011-04-21)

Thanks
    I use a Cisco Linksys e4200. The Firewall settings on mine are identical to yours and everything works well. Leave the default settings. If you press help link it will give something of an explanation of each setting.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2011-04-21)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

More?

What about the wirelss tab and the access restriction area, these are some of the most important area's where you want to make sure you have the right settings enabled. Do you have WEP or WPA enabled, hidden wireless? etc

Lounger
    Thanks
    Being something of a control freak I have always enabled those two items and after reading the two listed URLs I'm confident it is the correct choice for my system (along with WPA2 and SSID changes).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    Being something of a control freak I have always enabled those two items and after reading the two listed URLs I'm confident it is the correct choice for my system (along with WPA2 and SSID changes).
    As most of us know, it's amazing how lazy some people can be and never take the time to change the default password, I understand though some may not know how or that they should do so, this is why manufactures are starting to lock down their routers by default. I still pick up a couple access points with WEP or totally open. I have an internet connection obviously, and don't see the need to try and use someone else's even if I could do so covertly, I can wait till I get home to do what I need or else find a free access point at the mall, etc. I don't need to be connected 24/7.