Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts

Security really is not about a specific browser

Security is a complex thing and you can be secure in just about every browser, or you can be insecure in just about any browser too, it's just a different way to view things. Ed Bott is very knowledgeable guy and he usually write's interesting articles. His latest post is about one of those fake virus detection attacks, engineered for Chrome users. It's an interesting read.

Thanks
    I agree, security is flexible. To feel secure I feel that I have to be proactive with my security. I have to have a multilayer approach. A good hardware firewall in my router, combined with a good software firewall, combined with a good AV and AM app running in real time, plus good AM scanners to run as often as I feel is necessary. My approach:
    1) Cisco Linksys e4200 router with top level security (WPA2) and firewall enabled.
    2) Windows 7 firewall, although over the last week I have been checking other s/w firewalls. I am presently using Online Armor and am impressed so far.
    3) MSE AV and AM app running in real time,
    4) MalwareBytes and Spybot Search and Destroy to scan when needed.

I have never had a successful attack, but remain proactive with security and continue to create Up To Date Images in case I do have a disaster.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,

Obviously wise choices there .

I just posted the link to make clear that it isn't using one browser over another that will automatically ensure security. The social engineering attacks described in the article can happen with any browser and when they initially show up, most AV apps won't even detect them. So, a user's own judgement must be part of the toolset used to avoid such attacks being successful.

Regards

Rui
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-04-22 at 06:40. Reason: fixed a typo

Thanks
    I have read any number of threads where someone will say this browser is more secure than that browser, and it just ain't so. Yes browsers have come a long way, and the latest browsers version of the big 3 (or 4 if you count Opera) are much more secure than there predessesors, but this is only a small part of the battle. If an individual's computing habits are poor, then their chance of a successful attack is greatly increased! If someone thinks all they need is a newer version, up to date with patches, browser, then their chances of a successful attack are also greatly increased. It is the layered, proactive approach that will be the most successful at blocking attacks. Browsers are a part of the defense, definitely not the whole defense! A great, layered security system, will eventually fall apart if the user takes chances in their computing habits. It just might take a little longer.

By the way, great article, although I see many of the readers that responded are still more interested in touting their OS is better than another at stopping these attacks. The point is that any browser on any OS can be susceptible to attack, period! Windows happens to have many more attacks because their are many more PC's running windows!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's the part people always miss with these articles. You can lock everything down to no end, use the best of breed security software and hardware. You can make sure all you programs and OSes are patched. But if you don't know what things to watch for in e-mail, or even via the phone, you may still be vulnerable. Yes, all the technical stuff mitigates a lot of issues. But you still need to keep your wits about you. What I'm talking about is social networking. Scams still work because people are still duped by them. Even so-called "safe" OSes are vulnerable. I always laugh at my MAC head friends who boast they don't need Internet protection software.

We recently had a penetration test done at work. We're pretty tight, security wise, so they couldn't get in via the conventional methods. What they did was searched the internet for names associated with the company. Then tried various combinations of e-mail until they hit ones that worked. They then looked for "Out of Office" replies. From there, they e-mailed people in the same department saying that "I was working with so-and-so on the attached document. They are out today, could you open this a look at something for me". Well, of course everyone wants to please a customer or business partner, right? The attached PDF had a payload. It wasn't antivirus or any other scanning system that prevented the attack. It was the fact that our users don't have the rights to install software on their PCs that put a stop to it.

I'm only mildly diligent about security at home. Still, I have yet to be attacked. Then again I'm VERY careful about what I do, and know the signs of bogus e-mails. Several times I've called friends asking if they've sent a certain link or attachment that didn't "smell" right to me. Sure enough, they didn't sent it. Keep your eyes opens folks, its one of your best defenses in computing.
    Chuck

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Brown For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2011-04-23),Dick-Y (2011-04-22)

Thanks
    As has been previously stated in other threads, the best, multi-layered protection scheme can't protect a PC 100% of the time from the most insidious problem. . . . . the user themselves! It does sound as though we are all in agreement with this issue!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Doc Brown, that is a very interesting post. It does show that the human link is so often the weakest. Thanks for that .