New Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox 4 won't start after install

I have installed Firefox 4 on three other PCs and have not experienced any problems.

On my last PC I have been using Update from Firefox 3.6.16, Firefox 4 downloads and begins to install. Msg is posted that the Add Ons are being checked for currency with Firefox 4 and then Firefox hangs. I have to go to Task Manager to end Firefox and to the Process screen to clear firefox.exe.

Trying to start Firefox 4 nothing appears to happen. There is an entry for firefox.exe on the Process screen.

After re-booting the PC, Firefox 4 still does not appear to start, but shows up on the Process screen. I can go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall Firefox 4.

After re-booting I can re-install Firefox 3.6.16 and Firefox runs as normal.

I have installed Firefox 4 on three other PC and have had no problem. What might I have bad on this last PC that Firefox 4 will not even start ?

I have downloaded Firefox 4 from Mozilla and from File Hippo to try to make sure I have a good download.

Thanks
    It sounds as though there might be some serious incompatibility or corruption in your Firefox profile. After installing 4 and killing the process when it can't complete the profile check, you could try starting it up to a new Firefox profile and then migrating key settings. These articles might help:

Any luck?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I will look up the references and will try your suggestion this weekend. Thanks for the suggestions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have not tried creating a new blank profile yet, nervous I guess. I have tried turning off all my Add Ons since Firefox 4 freezes as it begins to check for currency and new versions of the Add Ons and that didn't help.

I've uninstalled 3.6.17 first and then tried to install 4.0.1 and that hangs as it begins to check the Add Ons. I will have to carefully read the instructions and create a new blank profile and try to restart 4.0.1 again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Would it ok or dumb to delete all of the Firefox files that I can find on my systems and then install a fresh down load of FF V5 ?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keneb View Post
    Would it ok or dumb to delete all of the Firefox files that I can find on my systems and then install a fresh down load of FF V5 ?
    keneb,
    Hello... Yes you could do that, i have went down that road many times. The down side is that all your settings and Add-on's, options will be lost. Maybe the problem is not with FireFox itself , but with one or more of your Add-ons...If you can revert to a previous version and it runs... You might try to shut some off...(disable) or remove them, one at a time.You can explore for all the Firefox files\folders using a free program called "Everything" if you decide to go that route . Regards Fred

PS: you can get all previous versions of Firefox File Hippo

Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-07-11 at 13:51.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

keneb (2011-07-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks that is helpful and I think I will try that approach of removing Add-ons and trying to install the new version