Thread: Attachments

New Lounger

I'm using Outlook 2007 and Word 2007.

I created a document in Word 2007 and not sure what file type to save it as because I'm sending the Word document to other users using different versions of Word.

I will attachment the document to my e-mail message. The people I'm sending the message to are using different versions of Word. Some are using Word 97, Word 2000, Word 2003, Word 2007 and Word 2010.

My question is: now should I save the message in Word so the people I'm sending the message to can read the attachment.

Thanks in advance.......

Silicon Valley, USA
    The Word 97-2003 format (.DOC) is the most widely supported. Word 2007 may discard some features during the conversion, so you might want to re-open and compare the DOC version visually to see whether anything important is missing and restore it to the DOC version using older features.

Regarding the email part, make sure not to use Outlook's old RTF (Rich Text) format. That would block the attachment for non-Outlook users (the message is decoded incorrectly and they get a Winmail.dat file merging the message content with the attachments).
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-04-21 at 15:33. Reason: Added second para