2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Want existing HDD to boot from USB

My desktop died. Autopsy revealed Graphics card fan stopped, frying the graphics card and taking motherboard with it. The Hard Drive appears to be OK. I mounted it in an Ultra USB to HDD enclosure. Connecting the Ultra USB enclosure to another computer makes all files see-able and copyable.

WinXP was installed as the C drive, and is still intact.

My question is: Can i do something to make this HDD bootable now, without destroying its contents??

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You should be able to enable booting from USB in your BIOS. Then change the boot order so it boots first. Just for good measure, unplug your internal bootable drive. However, a caution, if the hardware is not exactly the same, you may not be able to boot due to driver incompatibilities. And even if you can, Windows will see the new hardware and expect you to re-activate.
    Chuck

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Michael,

Before trying anything, please consider making a backup image with a program like Macrium Reflect (free) so if something goes wrong you can recover exactly where you began!
    PJ in FL

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The HDD drive mounted in the USB enclosure is recognized by the bios. I actually did enable it to boot first in the bios. However, when it tries to boot(leds flashing) nothing happens and the computer reverts to a reboot to the bios window.

There are 4 partitions on this HDD. A recent copy of Acronis image is there on partition 4.