Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    You can also search by the timing of an event, if you can recall it. All errors will generated a date/time stamp.
    Another method would be to clear the event viewer and allow the errant wake behavior to reproduce itself, thereby,
    hopefully, regenerating the error.
    It's a good practice to go through the event viewer every so oftento look through it and clear it out.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-04-25 at 12:50.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips, Clint. didn't know i should clean out eventvwr ...
    i am now working with M$, who is supposed to call me back this morning with tier 2 support. tier 1 struck out, but hopefully tier 2 will be able to resolve the issue. i wil be happy to post anything i can find out ...

Michael

Administrator
    Thanks
    I wouldn't bother with cleaning out any event log unless you are extremely tight on disk space. In Windows 7 there are too many to try to manage individually. They will all delete events as required.

Joe

Thanks
    Clearing the event viewer is not about preserving disk space but more about making it easier to identify the errors one is look for through the forrest of all the other clutter of entries.

Below is a set of commands that can be made into a batchfile for the purpose of clearing the event logs;
    @echo off
    FOR /F "tokens=1,2*" %%V IN ('bcdedit') DO SET adminTest=%%V
    IF (%adminTest%)==(Access) goto noAdmin
    for /F "tokens=*" %%G in ('wevtutil.exe el') DO (call :do_clear "%%G")
    echo.
    echo Event Logs have been cleared! ^<press any key^>
    goto theEnd
    :do_clear
    echo clearing %1
    wevtutil.exe cl %1
    goto :eof
    :noAdmin
    echo You must run this script as an Administrator!
    echo ^<press any key^>
    :theEnd
    pause>NUL

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

bigpygme (2011-04-26)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks Clint and Joe, for your time and efforts to help.
    so far it's boiled down to a windows upgrade/repair to see if that will take care of it ... we'll see ...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As for the S3 Sleep problem I have a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD6, and it doesn't matter what or how you configure your PC it will not work w/Windows 7 SP1 installed. I've gone round, and round with Microsoft, and they are ignoring the issue. The module standby.exe fails, because it shows up in the event log as a failure when the PC shuts down instead of going to S3 Sleep. My only solution until Microsoft can admit to this is to remove SP1.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    it worked for quite a while for me AFTER i installed SP1, so it's hard for me to believe that that is the problem.
    but you may be onto something. one of the 1st things the M$ technician who is trying to help me did was uninstall SP 1. (still didn't work ...)

i have an Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3.

Lounger
    Thanks
    This is an interesting thread. I have no new information but just as a data point I have two PC's with Win 7 Pro x64 installed. Both also have SP1. One sleeps correctly every day every time. The other one has the same problem as originally described. That is, it will sleep, and in fact wakes up, but the monitor stays black. Holding the power button until the PC shuts down and then powering it up again usually works. I just assumed until now that I had an issue with the video card or driver.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Please post solution

I would be so grateful if you could ultimately please post a solution to this problem. I have scoured the net, uninstalled SP1, upgraded to Windows Ultimate, changed power settings and still have two Window 7 64 bit laptops (one Dell and one HP) that will neither hibernate or sleep.

My problem actually started before upgrading to SP1, which is why I tried the upgrade in the hope that it would solve the problem.

Each one does exactly what you describe: closing the lid or pressing sleep/hibernate causes the computer to sleep/hibernate but the only way to "wake" them is by holding the power switch and rebooting. Otherwise you just have a black screen with a whirring computer fan.

I have been very frustrated for weeks with this problem. My workaround for now has been to change the power setting to do "nothing" when closing the lid. I find though, that the laptops get pretty hot over time doing this and more often than not have just been shutting down.

Again, would be very grateful if anyone can solve this.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sp1

SP1 is the problem, but I too had same when removing SP1. The very first time it cam out cleanly, however, the next blew up Win 7. Had to format and start again this time leaving SP1 out of the picture until Microsoft takes responsibility & to correct the problem. This was the message I left them with.

Thanks
    Windows 7 - Help with sleep wake up
    How to Troubleshoot a Vista or Windows 7 Sleep Mode Problem

powercfg -ENERGY
    (Evaluation of energy efficiency and errors)

Copy and past the above in an elevated command prompt.
    Generate and examine the report.

powercfg lastwake
    (what had Waken Up Windows Last)
    powercfg -a
    (Checks available sleep states for your computer)
    powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
    (List devices that can wake up your computer)
    powercfg -devicedisablewake "exact name of device"
    (disable and re-enable listed device: Respectively)
    powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

bigpygme (2011-04-29)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    hey, it occurs to me i have a Windows 7 Image stored from early March - i think it's before the madness began.
    would restoring that be a cure ?
    probably, or probably not ?

Michael

Thanks
    It would restore you back to that time. If this is "before the madness" as you state, it would probably get you back to an operational state of "wakefullness" assuming your failure is indeed software related. You would then have to add whatever updates you need, or whatever apps you have added since that time. I have used Images regularly to restore from problems, generally that which I have created.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks, Ted.
    restoring to old Windows image didn't work, although i would have sworn i made that backup on a working-good machine.
    now, i have another WIndows image from Dec, but a LOT has gone on with this machine since Dec - i am reluctant to try it. i suppose i could, i KNOW the problem wasn't current then.

other tech boards i'm exploring for Asus problems are pointing to BIOS problems more than video driver conflicts. that would explain why the image didn't work. have an Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 mobo (and an Asus EAH 5770 video card).

Thanks
    If you havn't modified the BIOS prior to this problem, then I can't see how the BIOS could be the cause.

Run the following command and allow it to generate a report. You may post it if you have trouble;

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

bigpygme (2011-04-30)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast