Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Doc,
    Sometimes, one must push the power button (quickly) to wake from sleep on a notebook. It should immediately wake, not reboot.

Zig (endodoc)
    Last edited by Zig; 2011-05-12 at 00:35.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Zig,

Previously, I could set both laptops to sleep upon closing the lid and they would awaken as soon as they were opened. Now whether I close the lid or press the sleep button they awaken to a black screen with blinking hard disk activity. Both are Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 1 laptops (one Dell and one HP). It started with the HP and later the Dell started doing the same thing. It must have been an update to Windows that triggered it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    eyedoc -
    i hope you meant DISABLE Wake Up On LAN setting ...

if you think it was a windows update, especially if it is a recent problem, you could try uninstalling windows updates one by one until you find a status that allows wake from raising the lid ... re-installing using the Repair option over the top of your programs and data is much more extreme, and you have to re-download all the updadtes after you do that ... and it didn't sork as a solution for me anyway.

Michael
    Last edited by bigpygme; 2011-05-14 at 15:13.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry to be so late to this but one question, do you have your computer connected to a UPS? I had similar problems with my desktop system which was new at the time Dell XPS 8100 8gb RAM 1.5TB HDD, Win7 HP, would not wake from sleep at all. Turned out the UPS battery was shot, worn out dead and that is what was preventing it from normal wake/sleep. Had to power down manually and start up fresh. Replaced the UPS and just like that, worked perfectly. Of course ymmv, but thats my two cents on the issue. Good luck

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thx, joela -
    no UPS. think it's solved by not overclocking - although it ran fine for a year with the modest, mobo managed O/C i had set up.
    i'd LIKE to have both, but it looks like i'll have to settle for no O/C in order to wake from S3 sleep ...

Michael

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    update - i am running at High Performance settings with a gentle O/C and the machine is waking up fine now, after replacing both the motherboard and the CPU when the mobo replacement didn't seem to fix anything. in fact, things had gotten a little worse after that.

but all is well now. all signs point to a hardware failure of some kind as the culprit ...

note - i have not yet re-installed my replacement 5770 card, using on-board graphics for now until i get a few minutes to put it in.

hope that helps somebody.

thanks for th troubleshooting ideas.

Michael
    Last edited by bigpygme; 2011-06-14 at 19:52.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234