New Lounger
    Thanks

Changing PC from domain to home group

I have Windows 7 Pro on a Dell laptop that has been connected to a domain (server at work). I think Exchange Server.

Soon I will no longer have access to the domain, so I want to use the computer independently as part of a Home Group/Work Group.

I have permission to keep all of the files, documents, and Outlook (emails, calendar, etc.). I will no longer have access to other drives on the server.

How do I make sure I don't lose anything when I make the change? Is it as simple as copying everything to an external drive then copying it back once the change has been made. What about the Outlook stuff?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Nothing should happen when your change from domain membership to workgroup. To be safe, your best option is to make an image backup of the system.

Are you going to make the change yourself?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by teyetus View Post

I have permission to keep all of the files, documents, and Outlook (emails, calendar, etc.). I will no longer have access to other drives on the server.
    As Joe said, make sure to have a backup image of everything.

Another test .....
    Disconnect from the internet and make sure you can access all files, documents, and Outlook (emails, calendar, etc.) using your laptop without internet access to your employer's resources.

HTH