New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down Outlook 2010 Memory Leak and CPU Hog

I run a fully updated 32-bit WIN-XP OS with 4G-memory and recently switched from Office-2003 to 2010. The three programs that I use heavily are Excel, Word, and Outlook. It is not uncommon to have all three open all day. I found that since switching to Office 2010 I have significant resource problems. I investigated a bit and find that I have no problems with Word or Excel. The culprit is Outlook.

Outlook 2010 has a bad memory leak. Everytime you do something in it, it gobbles up more memory. While it sometimes releases some of the memory, it never returns all the memory it grabs. After a while when it tries to grab more memory to do something, it reports that there are not sufficient resources. Of course not, it already has them all. Simply switching your view between the Inbox and the Contacts folder and back again increases the amount of memory reserved by Outlook.

If that were not troubling enough, whenever you view the Contacts folder, Outlook grabs between 40% and 50% of the CPU and keeps it busy even if you are not doing a thing. Does anyone have any idea what Outlook is doing with all that cpu when it appears to the user to be sitting there doing nothing?

This is troubling and problematic for XP users as on a 32-bit system we cannot simply add more memory. I find that I have to close Outlook several times a day and give it a rest to recover system resources and be able to function again.

If anyone knows of a solution for this problem other than to dump Outlook, I'm all ears. You would think that the author of the OS could also author software that plays nicely with the OS but I guess that is too much to ask.
    Last edited by miroth; 2011-04-23 at 12:06.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Do you have any add-ons that may explain some of that behavior? I run Outlook on a Win7 32 bit laptop without any such issues.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

miroth (2011-04-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You pushed me to look more seriously at the loaded add ons that I was avoiding. I found so far that while the add-ons do increase the memory required, they alone do not explain the memory leak. One of the add-ons was responsible for the CPU usage. That was a Vonage dialer addon that I have removed. I will monitor for a day or so and report back if the memory leak is still an issue. I have some on Microsoft's own add-ons disabled to keep memory requirements down.

Thanks again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Sorry to have made you look at something you didn't want to .

Add-ons, unfortunately, can cause this type of situation. That's why that was my first suggestion. I hope you can find it was an add-on causing the memory, too. Maybe you will find a more recent version that won't cause the issue or contact the manufacturer to see if they have a solution.

Regards

Rui

New Lounger
    Thanks
    An update for any who may be watching. I had to disable all windows startup items that were not absolutely necessary. I have not yet identified which one was causing the problem as I have not turned them back on. I am only loading items as and if I find I need them. Most of what I turned off I have not turned back on and I do not miss them.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you checked Task Manager to see what process is consuming RAM?

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroth View Post
    I have not yet identified which one was causing the problem
    So does this mean the issue has been mitigated? but you have not found the specific cause as yet?

If you have disabled startup items and other software I believe it is a software and or service clash more so than a specific Outlook 2010 issue. But with that said are you using Personal Folders with Outlook? (I.E. not Microsoft Exchange environment) what is their size?