Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Consent.exe but in chinese

I ran Soluto during start up.
    When looking through the start up files list it produced.
    I came across the software Consent.exe. as one of the files loading at start up.
    What troubles me is the initial file is written in what looks like chinese and translated into english Consent.exe.
    I have looked in the windows folder and found consent.exe all in english.
    So maybe its Soluto displaying it as chinese?
    Any one any idea why it should appear to be chinese?.

Thanks
    Consent.exe appears to be associated with UAC in Windows. Why it would appear as you state is a mystery. Do you by any chance have the language packs that were available from Windows Update (most of us just hide these unless they are able to be used)? Perhaps these have somehow been used somehow. If you do have them and do not ever intend to use them, I would uninstall, then hide these updates.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I would think it shouldn't be displaying in Chinese unless you have a version of the operating system with active use of the language in question.

UAC control in not infallible and could be a target for malware attack:
    Run an AV/AM scan on the entire system to rule out an infectious etiology.

How to confirm if consent.exe is genuine Microsoft file:
    One way of doing this is by checking the properties of consent.exe file. First, use the inbuilt Search utility to locate all the instances of consent.exe file on your Windows system and check their location.
    The genuine consent.exe file is located in C:\Windows\System32 folder. Right-click the consent.exe file, click Properties and see if Microsoft is listed as the Manufacturer of the file. Also, check if a digital signature is provided that validates the file as the genuine Microsoft file.
    In case, you find the consent.exe file is located somewhere else or Microsoft is not the manufacturer, chances are that the file is illegitimate and you will be better of by removing the rogue file. It is recommended that you don’t try to directly delete the file. Instead, run a malware scan using reliable and advanced security software and delete the malicious consent.exe and its associated malware.
    At this point, you may also run a registry scan using a reliable registry cleaning utility This is required because malware programs often add incorrect or harmful entries into the registry that may corrupt your Windows registry and make your Windows computer unstable.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry to ask a stupid question, but do you mean the search that is in the start menu? I used that and found no consent.exe at all. I had Show hidden files and folders enabled. Then I went to System32 and found consent.exe where it is supposed to be, with MS as the manufacturer and the digital signature. But I dont know how to look for other versions.

Thanks, Gary

Thanks
    I do not recall if Win 7 has this, but in Win 8 I open File Explorer (Windows Explorer) and use the search box in the upper, right of the Explorer window.

The Start Orb search relies, I believe, on the indexing being up to date. MS shows info on Indexing in this article. It could be that the location for consent.exe is not indexed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Download Everything search and use it to search for consent.exe. It is a lot easier to use than windows search and will find files that haven't been indexed by Windows as well as hidden and OS files. If its on your disk, Everything will find it.

Jerry