New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook social connector update offered but Outlook not installed

I am running Windows 7 SP1 32-bit with Outlook 10 Professional installed. During the Office 10 installation, I changed Outlook to X-Not available. My Microsoft Update is set to "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them".

A couple of days ago, I was offered the Outlook Social Connector Update, 32-Bit Edition. This seemed odd, so I confirmed in Control Panel > Programs and Features that Outlook and the Social Connector are not installed. In MS Update, I clicked the More information link, which had a bad URL for KB2441641 instead of KB2289116. When I manually found the correct KB article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2289116, I found that it was released on 09/14/2010. However, the MS Download Center says it was released on 8/24/2010.

How could all of these errors have passed even the simplest quality control and testing?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Buckeye

Thanks
    MSKB articles often are updated after their initial posting once Microsoft has received feedback from its millions of users. For that reason, a later date on the MSKB article isn't a huge surprise.

As for whether "not available" components of Office should be getting updates, I don't know: it may well be that even if they are marked as not available they are installed and could be touched by other programs (legitimate or malware) and therefore need regular updating.

New Lounger
    Thanks

SOLVED: Update does that sometimes (per Microsoft)

@jscher2000 - Thanks for replying, and you make a good point, although the KB articles have revision dates separate from the update. I should have realized that this update was probably on limited release (making the Downloads date), then made generally available (the KB article release date).

Thanks to Microsoft's Answers forum, I found KB902992, which essentially says that Update sometimes does this - hide the updates you don't need. I would add "and keep an eye out for the next unnecessary update".

B