Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry PDF to Word - any reliable products?

I've been using Nuance's product (with not always the best results) . It has started giving a Visual C++ Runtime error so I'm searching for a replacement.

I've tried some online and other programs Nitro never e-mailed the converted file to me, BCL gave me 8 blank pages, Free Pdf to Wood Converter could not open any PDF, claiming they were all corrupt, and ConvertpdfToWord did convert the file, but the text is overlaying the original pdf text. It almost makes sense to retype everything myself!!

Does anyone know of a reliable program that converts PDF files to editable Word documents?
    TIA
    Mark

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkGuy12 View Post
    Does anyone know of a reliable program that converts PDF files to editable Word documents?
    No. Even in the best of times, PDF-to-Word converters typically create a frustrating maze of text boxes or frames to preserve the layout when really they should be concerned about editability (otherwise, you'd just use the PDF, right?). I think a good quality text export might be more useful.

But back to your question. Is the main requirement OCRing image-based PDFs to editable text, or reconstructing the Word document from a text-based PDF?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkGuy12 View Post
    Free Pdf to Wood Converter could not open any PDF
    That's a shame, I've see a few PDFs I'd like to turn to wood

I've had reasonable results with SolidConverter. As for:
    the text is overlaying the original pdf text
    might that be because the PDF pages had both images of the text and the actual text? I've encountered PDFs like that, where the PDF was apparently from an OCR'd source. When converted, every page had an image of the text overlaying the text itself. To clean it up, I wrote a little macro to go through the document and delete all the shapes. That'd be no good if there were images you wanted to keep, though.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    CutePDF can be used to convert Word to PDF, I am not sure but wonder if it will do the reverse as well. Might be worth a look see.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. I think part of the difficulty is that this pdf is scanned from a printed source. SoldiConverter seems to have a way to deal with this, but I have to try it out first.
    So I've learned something about pdf files - when is text not text? When it is scanned and created as a bitmap!

Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've just updated Nitro Pro with its OCR (money) anyway it makes the BMP image easily and is supposed to convert to Word Text file; (only learning) however i managed to copy text in whole PDF ok, when pasted into Word .doc needs sorting as all formatting has been stripped but is otherwise ok, just got 17 pages into .doc with so can be done

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Able2ExtractProfessional

Also converts Excel files and others. It works excellent.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Image and text in PDFs

Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    When converted, every page had an image of the text overlaying the text itself.
    That is a technique used in Document Management Systems. When the company I worked for until I retired for installed a DMS, hard copy documents were scanned in this format so that if you look at or print them, they appear the same as the original, but the DMS software can index them and perform word searches on them.
    PFV

New Lounger
    Thanks

PDF to Word

I have successfully used PDFZilla to convert PDF to other formats including Word.

http://www.pdfzilla.com/

Give it a try.
    Rauleigh

New Lounger
    Thanks

Open with WORD?

I have been able to open PDF documents by selecting "all files" and open with WORD 2007 and 2010. The text seems to format well.
    Bill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When is a PDF NOT a PDF - when Adobe changes the format. I have tried dozens of PDF to Word or WordPerfect or XYwrite or WordStar converters. Every time that I find one that works it is broken within a year as Adobe updates the format to be more things for more people. What was a simple 'printer' file is now a complex multi-overlay. The best solution for long term dependability has been to print the document and OCR-Scan the printout. At least the printout is a flat file.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A few programs I tried gave poor results. I settled on VeryPDF's PDF2Word (http://www.verypdf.com/pdf2word/index.html) which generally handles even complex documents well, though sometimes a little editing of the output document is needed.

After systematically experimenting with all the program's settings I found the default ones worked best.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently read on a Yahoo Freeware group (AltCompFreeware) that Bytescout (www.bytescout.com) has a PDF reader as freware in their End User Utilities that's supposed to be able to do this. I haven't tried it yet, but the price is right ($0)!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've not found a website or program that can handle every type of .pdf, so sometimes I have to try several before I get something usable. Another option is www.pdfonline.com

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I Use Foxit Reader which is a free PDF reader that you can get from here http://download.cnet.com/Foxit-Reade...-10313206.html . You can use the Save As feature to save your PDF document as a Text File then open the Text File in MS Word. You will probably lose some of the formatting but that is easy to correct. By the way I use Foxit PDF for all my PDF needs as they also have a free PDF creator and PDF Editor .
    Last edited by Algen500; 2011-04-28 at 14:01.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast