Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

New Win7 Pro Asus MB - no NIC found

This is a real strange one. Couldn't find anything like this in any other thread...

I just built a new Win7 Pro 64-bit PC with ASUS M4A87TD-USB3 motherboard. Everything seems fine, except Win7 does not recognize the built-in NIC on the motherboard, nor does it recognize a dLink NIC I tried adding (with 64-bit drivers included) to see if it was the MB or something else. I have tried using different (known good) cables and connections to each, but neither NIC is recognized by Win7. No listing in Device Manager and when installing the appropriate driver software it gets to the end and says it can't find any such adapter. I have triple checked that the internal NIC is turned on in the BIOS, but that shouldn't affect the add-on card. Here's the strangest part: The add-on card shows one green light when first booting, but it goes dark immediately thereafter. The built-in NIC never shows any lights. I can't even find a way to force installation of either NIC in Win7.

Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Rob

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Remove the add-in NIC and see if the on-board is visible.
    Do you have any other cards added?
    Run the ASUS diags on the motherboard.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Try going to Asus and downloading appropriate drivers for this device. They do have a whole list of drivers and software available.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Ted, if the device does not show in Device Manager the drivers won't be any use.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I've seen occasions when this problem is fixed by installing the correct chipset drivers to allow Windows to discover the other components; the chipset drivers can be found at Ted's URL.

If this doesn't find the NIC controller(s), then run the ASUS diags as suggested by Paul, it's likely that the 'board is faulty.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanx, all. I think I already have all the latest drivers, including the chipset drivers, but will double-check when I get home this evening. As for removing the add-in NIC, I only put that in when the built-in one didn't show up. For diagnostics, the Asus utilities are mostly regarding overclocking stuff, but I'll look again to see what diagnostics I have. I also just downloaded Asus PC Probe, but its from awhile back, so it might not do much for me. In any case, thanx for the feedback. I'll report back with my results after testing this evening. Best wishes. Rob

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    There seem to be specific LAN card drivers for that mobo, so I would definitely give it a try.

Thanks
    Like I said, drivers for the Mobo, chipset, Lan , etc might be the easiest things to try first. I have had devices that were not discovered by Windows, that were found with correct Mobo drivers. Stranger things have happened.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Little progress but no solution yet

Hi All:

Thanx again for your suggestions. As I thought, I already had downloaded the latest drivers. The Asus Chipset link is for video, so that was worthless for this problem. I did install an updated BIOS, but it didn't help. The EZ-Bios-Update feature was cool, tho' -- direct from USB drive on boot, before any O/S loads. No floppies, no DOS. Slick!

I again tried to load the LAN (64-bit) drivers for the motherboard, and also for the add-in card. Nada. The results are in the attached file of Windows diagnostics, along with some screen shots of the messages. I also installed and ran the Asus PC Probe-II diagnostics, and it seems to show that the LAN interface exists. The Windows7 diagnostics seem to say that it detected a LAN interface, too, without a properly installed driver, but if that's true, why doesn't it show up in Device Manager with an error indicator? In any case, the entire Windows7 Diagnostic files/logs are attached. If anyone is more of a wizard on reading and understanding them than I, please enlighten me and hopefully offer some more help.

Thanx in advance for your help.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Since this is a new build, are you sure there is not a hardware issue on the Mobo? After drivers, I would think hardware is the next logical choice.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rbsteinbach View Post
    Hi All:

The Asus Chipset link is for video, so that was worthless for this problem.

Rob
    Hi Rob,

The chipset device drivers for your motherboard affect more than your video card. Be sure you are looking at the motherboard chipset device drivers and not just drivers for your video 'chipset'.

What is the model number of your ASUS PC?

Thanks
    Looks like the chipset installer does major on the ATI graphics side of things; drill down to the AMD_Chipset_V307650_XPVistaWin7\Chipset\Config in the extracted .zip file and try running the Chipset.msi.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'll try your new suggestions this evening - many thanx.

Hi Again:

Thanx for your additional suggestions. Deadeye: Its ASUS M4A87TD-USB3 motherboard as stated in the original post. I was surprised that the chipset update seemed only to be for the video (see below). Ted: The reason I think this is something else is I had exactly the same problem with a previous attempt with a different model Asus MB two weeks ago, and also this is affecting the add-in card, too. Satrow: I missed that part of the install files, and will try to see if those are the rest of the chipset files I had expected when I get home this evening.

Thanx again for your help. I'll report back after I try the latest this evening.

Rob

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy No joy!

Well, thanx again, but I have no joy.

The chipset.msi file that Satrow suggested refuses to be recognized as a valid installer package. I also went back to the previous chipset package (V307620) and it has the same datetime stamp and size, but its also not valid. I even re-downloaded the latest chipset patch file, but it was no better.

I was really hoping that it would fix the problem, but as I poked around in all the extracted files from the zip file it really looks like its for the ATI video interface (which is not even on this board). I'm really not sure what else to try, and I am pretty sure its not simply a bad motherboard, as the add-on card is also blocked. No, I checked the Windows firewall, too. Even if that was the problem, I would expect the NICs to at least light up. I guess my next try is ASUS tech support, but I'm not confident that that will work, just because of language problems. This is a real bummer as I have a half dozen older ASUS Terminator systems that work fine to this day, and a new ASUS netbook that my wife uses and loves. I've also had other Asus motherboards in past systems that were fine. Not a good day for me on this.

Thanx again to all for your help. If/when I get things resolved I will post the results.

Rob

Thanks
    I just had the same error from the chipset.msi - it's not really an msi file as we know them.

I took a look through the ASUS forum for that 'board, no sign of anyone else having a problem with the installer or with having the NIC not recognised; I think it's a bad 'board and, if it were mine, I'd RMA it with the supplier.

EDIT: I've just read through the verified owners comments on this 'board over at Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131651 I can see nothing comparable to your problem there.
    Last edited by satrow; 2011-04-27 at 06:37.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast