3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry USB ports not working after Kaspersky 2011 upgrade

Hi there!

Maybe someone in the Lounge can help me here as Kaspersky are next to useless with dealing with the above issue.

I made what now is the cardinal sin of installing version 2011 over 2010. I found myself unable to log into my PC as it knocked out my USB keyboard and mouse. Last known good configuration didn't work when I tried that and neither did Safe mode. I am using xp and have no PS2 ports on my PC. They posted a supposed USB version of their Rescue disc which I applied and didn't work. Having received no help from Kaspersky and a lot of frustration from what seems to be a lot of other people in the same boat, I have now tried a repair from my xp installation disc and am stuck on the language settings screen asking me to confirm. I can not do this as guess what? I have no keyboard or mouse. Can anyone help me please as this has messed up my PC far worse than any virus to the point of being completely unusable? Incidentally the USB legacy set in the BIOS.

Cheers

Niven

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you are trying a repair installation, then your A/V is not in play. It seems as though you have a hardware problem.

Have you tried different USB ports?

Do you have a DOS boot CD that you can try?

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry

I do not have a hardware problem. This is something that I have discovered all too late, even though I followed heir instructions, is caused by upgrading from Kaspersky 2010 to 2011. This has affected a lot of people, but most have PS2 connectors on their PC's. Out of the people who do not have PS2 connectors, most have been lucky in running Kasperky's USB recover tool from their rescue disc. The ones who have not been lucky such as me have been left floundering with no solution. I can run the recovery tool graphically and use my keyboard and mouse in it. My keyboard also works in the system setup. The USB Recover tool does not fix my problem. When I run windows up after using this I get stuck at the log in screen unable to do anything, because my keyboard and mouse do not function. They used to before running the upgrade. I have received no help from Kaspersky and have resorted to trying to repair my setup via the repair utility on my xp disc. I thought this would restore the USB functionality. Once again, when asked to to do anything from the repair console, such as choosing my language settings I have no keyboard and mouse.

Is there anyone out there who can help me? I do not want to do a complete system install because I do not want to lose my files programs etc.
    Last edited by Niven; 2011-04-25 at 15:32.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Kaspersky Support Forums

Hi : I found your thread on the Kaspersky Support Forums at http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=206525 . Lucian Bara posted a Response today at 9:08 AM . Have you tried following his Advice !? Best to stick with that thread until ALL their Advice has been exhausted, and not ask for help on other Forum(s) .
    Last edited by SpiritWind; 2011-04-25 at 16:35.
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

Thanks
    Have you tried their option #3 (in the above support forums) With the use of another computer to create the rescue disk of course.
    It's the only viable option at this point, especially since you have no use of keyboard and mouse. It can hardly be expected of you to be able to use a restore means when you can't even get to it.

Your computer's BIOS would have to be set to boot from CD/DVD ROM, even if it's second or third in line from the primary hard drive.

An alternative would be to remove the drive and place it inside another computer as the primary and hope that it boots up in safemode.
    Once in safemode you could then effect the registry edits from the tech advice Kaspersky offers.

Others here more suave in related issue may offer alternatives, but they will most likely involve removing the drive to another computer to work on it.

You last option would be to move the drive to another computer, copy the data off of it and completely wipe the drive, replace and use your XP disk to install clean.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-04-26 at 02:10.