Thread: Outlook repair

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook repair

One of our office computers caught a virus last month. Got that cleaned up, but Outlook got effected and when we attempt to open Outlook it says that the file is corrupted and needs to be repaired. We run the repair exe and it even asks if we want to make a back up. But then when attempting to open the file it says that it's still corrupted. Any further options to repair the file?

I'm also wondering now if we should create a new pst file and if any of the old pst file will import??

Thanks!

Thanks
    The data file needs to be repaired (and you are running ScanPST.exe) or Outlook needs its executable files repaired?

Regarding the PST, I'm not sure there is any way to copy from the file without repairing it.* There are pricey third party tools to try to rescue corrupted PSTs when ScanPST doesn't work. I haven't tried any of them in the past couple of years.

* But it's worth a try. Rename the old PST and restart Outlook and have it create a new one. Then use File > Open > Outlook data file (or equivalent in your version of Outlook) and try to attach to the renamed PST.
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-04-25 at 16:47. Reason: Added note.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The data file is what needs to be repaired.
    I'll try what you suggested. Are there no other 3rd party freebie options?

I won't be back to work until Wednesday and will try then. Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Free options that I have looked at in the past are hard to find and do not work well. I don't have any links to those any more as it has been several years since I've had to try to recover data from a PST.

Joe

Thanks
    I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but a decent starting place for free and paid Outlook utilities are available from Nucleus Data Recovery.

Specifically, I have used their free Kernel Outlook PST Viewer, but browse their site, starting with the freebies, and see if they have something else that might be prove more appropriate for you.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    While it may be geared more to high-end users, Slipstick is dedicated to Outlook and is a 'must check' for any problem. You might review their scanpst pages.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    HERE is a tool that might be worth a try in your circumstances. Be sure to save a copy of the PST file before attempting any repair.