Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy unable to install Macrium Reflect free V5

can anyone help please, I have been trying to install Macrium Reflect free V5, but I keep getting an error message.

service Macrium Reflect image mounting service
    ReflectService.exe could not be installed
    verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services

not sure if this is the right section for this post, as I have had a similar problem with installing services, when I replaced my printer/scanner, (can't remember how I got round this problem last time !), so I don't think it is a software problem, rather a problem with the setup of my pc, the computer is setup with only one user, I did try installing in safe mode, but with the same result. Does anyone have any idea's, thanks for your help,
    Bob Rouse

XP SP3
    P4 3Gz
    3Gb memory
    160Gb HD
    Online Armur firewall
    Avast antivirus
    auto updates on

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Run an AV/AM tool, independant to what you currently have, to check for infection first. I recommend Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
    Perform a registry scan with CCleaner's Optimization and Cleaning tool.

If you have had a prior version installed previously check to ensure that it has been fully removed.
    Check for the reflectservice by going to "services.msc" from the Window's run box

If a prior version is there;
    sc stop reflectservice
    Then
    sc delete reflectservice

You could then re-attempt the V5 installation.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bob rouse View Post
    verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services

Does anyone have any idea's, thanks for your help,
    Bob,
    Hello... Try to "right click" the installer and run as an "Administrator" ...If you then have a "Stop" during the install .. Most times you have to "take ownership" of the folder that the error message gives you. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint, thanks for your advise, I do use Malwarebytes, and have run CCleaner, I have not used reflect before, so no earlier version, but i did look in services and reflect is not listed, was stumped after that, hope this means something.
    Bob

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, not tried right clicking on installer before, will give it a go, not that good when I get too far under the hood, but will see what happens, thanks for your help.
    Bob

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, I right clicked on installer, I am the only user listed, if I open the drop down box, it is just my name, but then I am asked for a password, which I have not set, as I am the only user, so I can only select the current user, there is no mention of an administrator, I did uncheck the box to protect against unauthorized program activity, but the install still stops at the services, any clues ?
    Bob

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, I right clicked on installer, I am the only user listed, if I open the drop down box, it is just my name, but then I am asked for a password, which I have not set, as I am the only user, so I can only select the current user, there is no mention of an administrator, I did uncheck the box to protect against unauthorized program activity, but the install still stops at the services, any clues ?
    Bob ,
    Hello ... I am confused ... When you "right click" on the Macrium Reflect installer you should see as an option (context menu) "Run as Administrator" I have no idea of what it is that your speaking about, drop down box? ... Please clarify Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,
    Sorry I am getting ahead of myself, when I right click on the installer, the only options are :- OPEN or RUN AS..., as well as the usual scan with, send to etc, there is not an option to run as administrator, after I clicked on RUN AS..., I then get the window with a security warning and the options to run the program or cancel, if I click on run, I then get the window, titled - Run As, with the options to select current user - protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity - the following user, which has the drop down box for user name, then another box for password, but I do not use a password to log onto my computer, hope this makes sense, very sorry about the confusion, on another note I did not make clear I am using XP Home, not sure if this makes any difference,
    Bob

Thanks
    See if this How To Geek article will help you add the Run As Administrator to the right click Context Menu
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    there is not an option to run as administrator, after I clicked on RUN AS..., I then get the window with a security warning and the options to run the program or cancel, if I click on run, I then get the window, titled - Run As, with the options to select current user - protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity - the following user, which has the drop down box for user name, then another box for password, but I do not use a password to log onto my computer,
    Bob,
    Hello... OK i fired up my XP OS, and now I'm on the same page as you... If you want you can open control panel (user Accounts), and set up a password "Administrator Account" then you will have that option ..To run as "Administrator" there may be other ways to add this to your right click context menu ... I'll have a look around ..(I'm new to XP just about a month) and post back if i find an easier way Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,
    Thanks for the reply, does this work for XP, as it only lists Windows 7 and Vista
    Bob
    Last edited by bob rouse; 2011-10-14 at 16:22.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,
    I have looked in user accounts, my account is already listed as Computer Administrator, could this be why I don't have the right click option, to run as an Administor ?
    Bob
    Last edited by bob rouse; 2011-10-14 at 16:23. Reason: oops sorry in a rush and typed the wrong name, sorry again Bob

Thanks
    You are correct, this may not work in XP, my bad. A Google search shows some options that may help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I have looked in user accounts, my account is already listed as Computer Administrator, could this be why I don't have the right click option, to run as an Administor ?
    Bob,
    Hello... You need to setup a password for your "Administrator" account... Then you will be able to run as one ( after Password input)... I think that without one ...your just another user.. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted
    I have checked out the pages you suggested, but my account is an Administrator already, so not sure why I can't get access to the services, to install Reflect,
    Bob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast