New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 Publish Calendar URL Does not Work

I'm trying to publish my Outlook Calendar so others can view when I'm busy or not, including myself when I'm not at my computer. Both HotMail Calendar and Google Calendar have a subscribe capability but when I send an invitation to view my calendar to either of these places and try to subscribe using the URL that is generated by Outlook - it starts with webcals://..... I get messages such as it has to be webcal://... or some vague message from Google saying it cannot read the URL.

Any tips or suggestions on how to make this work. They make it look very simple. Click Publish, set up settings, then Share Calendar to send the link. Subscribing to the link should give you a view of the calendar but I can't get it to work.

Thanks...Gord

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for process information but it doesn't seem to work as described

I'm wondering if it is an issue with my understanding of the process. I set up to share privately. I send the invitation to people with Windows Live IDs and/or Outlook. Those with Outlook can access the shared calendar but anyone trying to subscribe to my calendar using the link provided - whether with Live ID or a Google Account registered with Live ID - can still not get it to work. One error message says to remove the "s" from webcals://, changing it to webcal://. Then it says there is something wrong with the URL generated by the invitation email.

Is it the case that people can only access the calendar, if private, from Outlook? The instructions seem to imply that you can invite people that have Live IDs.

...Gord

Administrator
    Thanks
    The NOTE at the beginning of the "Windows Live Calendar" section at the page I previously linked says:

"You cannot subscribe to private calendars — a calendar you published with the Only invited users can subscribe to this calendar permission setting — in Windows Live Calendar. Use the steps in the previous section for viewing the calendar in Outlook."

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. It was my problem in understanding. It just didn't make sense that you were able to set up private calendars and then not be able to share them with anyone via internet mail and calendars, only Outlook. Doesn't sound much like a cloud solution but thanks for your confirmation and clarification.

Regards...Gord