Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts

How IE 9 SmartScreen filters help counter social engineering attacks

IE 9 is really a leading browser on several technology areas. Sorry to link to Ed Bott again, but I think his recent article comparing how IE 9 and Chrome handle malware is really interesting.

Enjoy.

Thanks
    I forgot about SmartScreen in IE8, but I think the privacy implications might have discouraged some people from using it. When you check the box to enable it, this pops up:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The sending of website addresses is crucial for the success of SmartScreen, because only then can files that people download be evaluated to determine whether they are trustworthy or not.

My opinion has always been that a community effort is extremely important in fighting malware. If no one cooperated, even identifying what is malware and what isn't, would be a lot more difficult.

Thanks
    Participating in a community effort to fight these nasties is another part of being proactive in your own security in my opinion. Perhaps I'm one of those people who believe MS is not out to get me in order to hand out whatever info I send them. Multi-layered approach, and this is another part. I have had this checked since day 1 with IE 8 and now IE 9 and will continue to do so. If something I send to MS helps stop just one of these %<^#*^ from infecting someone then happy days are here again.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy